𝟐𝟑.𝟒「𝐖𝐄 𝐇𝐀𝐓𝐄 𝐇𝐄𝐑」

𝐎𝐝𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

"I gotta admit. It's good to be back" Dad declares as we dock the boat at the chateau.

"Yeah, it is" I hum, looking around the old house with a small smile.

My brother comes to stand by my side and throws his arm around me as we watch our father cheer happily, throwing his arms in the air and we all laugh in amusement.

"Would you look at this place!" Dad gasps, jogging up to the house "Oh, wow! You know, I never thought    I'd miss this place so much!"

"Come on, JB" I sigh happily, tugging my brother up the pier.

As we're walking up to the house, I hear the sound of a bell ringing and we both turn our heads to see Dad ringing the old bell in the yard that he'd ring to call John B home when we were kids.

"Bring it on in, kids. Bring it on home" The older man smiles nostalgically and I share a smile with my brother as we head over to our father.

"I sure have missed this place" Dad states.

"Yeah, me too" John B nods in agreement.

"Huh" Dad hums, staring at the memorial for John B that JJ burned into the wood.

"Check it out. Got my own headstone" John B says to the man.

"Would you ever give me one of those?" Dad asks in a joking tone.

"Never. Did gave little Bug one though" John B chuckles and I look at him in surprise.

"You did?" I question.

"More JJ than me, but yeah. Looks almost identical" My brother admits and my heart aches.

My chest squeezes with a painful feeling of sadness at the knowledge that my brother and I have both grieved the loss of each other so heavily after also grieving the loss of our parents.

"Welcome home, Pop" John B greets our father home.

"Thanks, kid" Dad smiles a small smile.

"Come on" My brother beckons us to follow him "Stand out here and get bit by mosquitoes this whole damn time, or you wanna go inside?"

"I missed the mosquitoes, believe it or not" Dad grins, throwing an arm around him and turning to me "You comin' inside, Bug?"

"I really should head home. Lia is going to be waiting for me" I tell the pair who both nod sympathetically.

"I'll come get you if something happens, yeah?" John B offers and I smile happily.

"That sounds good, JB" I pat his shoulder as I pass him and look at my father "It was really nice to see you, Dad"

"Good to see you too, Bug" Dad smiles warmly.

⚓️     ⚓️     ⚓️

I turn around the corner onto the street that i've lived on my whole life and the cool breeze hits me, the sun fully set now with only the street lights to guide my way through the darkness.