𝟐𝟒.𝟐「𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐏𝐘 𝐘𝐎𝐔'𝐑𝐄 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄」

𝐎𝐝𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

JJ's motorcycle comes to a slow stop outside the chateau and I hop off the back, JJ following my lead.

"John B! Yo!" JJ whistles.

"JB?!" I holler.

"Hey, guys" A soft voice speaks and we turn to see Kiara.

"John B not here?" JJ asks her and I notice the way he steps closer to me, wrapping his arm around me.

"Nope" She answers and I feel responsible for how awkward the girl looks right now.

"What's up, Kie?" I smile, extending an olive branch to the girl and she smiles gratefully.

"Uh, Rafe's what's up" She tells us.

"What do you mean?" JJ questions.

"Rafe?" I mutter out in disbelief.

"Yeah, he's back on the island. Sarah saw him" Kiara nods.

"Spectacular" JJ scoffs.

"It's not just that. She overheard him saying that the cross is coming to Wilmington tomorrow night. Figure he must be trying to sell it" Kiara explains to us.

"Great" JJ huffs out.

"Has someone told Pope yet?" I ask her.

"Yeah, Sarah went to tell him. He's locked down" Kiara assures me and hands me a note from my brother "And I guess John B and your dad went and got the Twinkie. They're off to God knows where"

"What the hell?" I murmur, looking at my brother's shitty handwriting with a frown.

"Yeah, of course. Just when we need them" JJ says in frustration.

"They'll be back" I tell the boy, although it almost sounds like a question I'm asking him.

"They will" Kiara's voice reassures me and I shoot her a warm smile as a thank you.

"Wait. Hold on, though" JJ perks up "We know where the cross is gonna be. That means it's still on the field. So we can come in and swoop"

"We're still in this, guys" He adds "We gotta get everybody together, then we'll come up with a plan. Get to Wilmington as fast as we can"

JJ starts walking towards his bike and I make a move to follow him but Kiara grabs my wrist gently.

"Hey, Jayj. Before we formulate some crazy plan, can I talk to Odette?" Kiara questions, her eyes on me which lets me know she's really asking me and not him.

"Yeah. Yeah, you guys can talk" JJ nods, taking a step back away from us "I'll head inside and call Pope"

Kiara and I watch JJ walk all the way to the back door and we wait for the door to slam shut before we turn to each other again, an awkward silence eating us alive.

"Odette" She speaks up at the same time I blurt out "Kiara"

We both let out a little laugh at the crossover and I let myself relax, watching as Kiara does the same thing.