Ch. 72 - The Moonlit Sight

A/N: Another double update this week! After this though I think I'm gonna slow down a bit with the updates. So that I don't catch up too quickly to my backlog and have some time to keep up with staying a few chapters ahead with art.

Also it's my last week of the semester :D On Friday I'll be FREEEEE

----------

Hitomi leaned back in her seat, grateful she was alone on the patio again as Nari and Yoshiho talked about their day at their part-time jobs.

As it turns out, Yoshiho actually lived on her own in the west, in a small studio apartment and earned money working at a popular cafe. It could be difficult at times, but Yoshiho always reassured them she found ways to manage.

Nari, meanwhile, was ranting about the latest nuisance in customer service.

"So anyways, I kept telling this guy, 'we're out of boba pearls, and we need some time to cook more,'" Nari droned, "but he was just not listening, and- hey, Hitomi, you still there?"

Hitomi flinched at the sound of Nari's voice saying her name, giving her friends an apologetic look. "Sorry...!" she exclaimed.

Nari giggled, giving Hitomi a sly smile. "A certain blasty boy plaguing your thoughts, I'm guessing?"

Hitomi glared at her, to which Nari only whistled innocently. "Stop that."

"Anyways," Nari continued. Hitomi saw her fumble with her phone, Nari's camera shaking. "Yoshiho, how was your day?"

Yoshiho had a faraway look in her eyes for a second, as if she was trying to recall a memory. "...I saw a cute dog today."

"Ooo, what kind?!"

Hitomi saw Yoshiho sit back, contemplating.

"I think it was a Hokkaido Inu, but I don't know dog breeds very well, so I'm not completely sure."

"Please tell me you got to pet it."

The Shiketsu student shook her head, her expression unchanging. "I saw it outside the window while I was taking someone's order, so I couldn't."

"Aww..." Nari pouted.

"Nari, you have your own dog to pet," Hitomi pointed out, yawning.

"I know that!" Nari said, her eyebrows furrowing. "But I'm a dog person. I wanna pet every dog I see or hear about."

"You say that, and yet you haven't been bringing Shun over and now I don't even live at my own house anymore."

"I'm sorry, okay?!" Nari whined, squeezing her eyes shut. "It's not my fault he had to stay at home 'cause of his broken leg!!"

"Your dog broke his leg?" Yoshiho asked, her eyes widening slightly in surprise.

"Hm?" Nari opened her eyes back up. "Oh, yeah. He chased after a squirrel when I went to walk him this one time, and he jumped over the railing of a bridge and fell into the river. He ended up fracturing his front leg, but he's fine now."

"Oh." Yoshiho yawned, before her lips quirked up in a slight smile. "Well, I'm glad he's better now, then."

As Yoshiho grabbed a glass of water on her desk to take a sip, Hitomi watched Nari lean closer towards the camera, the blonde's nose scrunching up.

"You know, Yoshiho, you should do that a lot more often. A smile really suits you."

Yoshiho choked on the water, spluttering at Nari's comment. "I'm sorry?"

Nari chuckled, rubbing at her eyes. "I'm saying you look cute when you smile."

Hitomi could feel herself drifting off, her head nearly hitting the table from sleepiness. She wasn't the only one feeling tired, as Yoshiho kept yawning while Nari struggled to keep her eyes open. The three of them had been talking for almost an hour, the time nearly midnight for Nari and Yoshiho back in Japan. Right as Hitomi almost fell forward, Nari spoke again, making her jump back.