Ch. 37 - A New Chapter

A/N: I'm posting this chapter a day early, since I'll be traveling tomorrow and I don't know if I'll have internet.

Drawing the screenshots for this chapter was a pain in my side because I had to draw backgrounds, and that fact alone was what caused me to take more than 3 weeks to finish it. [9/7/2021 EDIT]: Funny how the redraw only took 2 or 3 days max compared to how long the old one took me XD The new art has a MUCH better background in my opinion ^-^

By the way, I also decided to include a screenshot of Hitomi's brothers just for funsies, even though they don't actually appear in any scenes this chapter. I included it since it's been 38 chapters and I never actually described their appearances, so there's that. :P
—————
Hitomi received a harsh scolding from both of her parents when she finally returned home the next day, but it wasn't as harsh as she would've expected.

Her parents were both concerned when they suddenly received a message yesterday afternoon that their daughter wouldn't be home right away, and even more so when she didn't return until the day after.

To her surprise, though, she wasn't grounded, especially after what everyone witnessed on the news.

"Hitomi?!"

Her parents nearly tackled her when she stepped through the front door. Her mom grabbed her face, making her meet her mother's silver eyes.

"Hitomi Kanetsukabe," her father said slowly as her mother observed her for any scratches or bruises. He held a pained look in his eyes, barely restrained. "What on earth were you thinking?!"

Hitomi couldn't find the words in her to speak, still reeling from the fight she'd watched between All Might and All for One.

"I..."

"You need to think twice before you just decide to run off!" Her father ran his hand through his dark blue hair frantically, messing up his normally neat hairstyle. Her mom looked back at him.

"Ethen, please..."

"No, Calida." He pinched the bridge of his nose, his glasses getting pushed up slightly from his fingers. "She needs to hear this."

Hitomi met her father's pained gaze. "Do you even understand the heart attack you gave us?! When we got that text?! When you didn't come home?? Do you know the worry you caused us? Your brothers? Your mom? Me??"

Hitomi's mom bit her lip as she turned back to her. "Your father... isn't wrong. Hitomi... we were worried sick. And with that villain..." Her thin eyebrows furrowed. "What if you'd gotten hurt...? You know some of the things I see as a nurse— and when you didn't come back, all I could think was..."

"Mom... Dad..." Hitomi's eyes burned and she covered her face in her hands, choking back a sob. "I'm sorry...! I'm- I'm so sorry!!"

Everything she felt within the past 24 hours was finally crashing down all at once. She was crying for the second time that day and her parents both flinched back, their eyes wide.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry...!" Hitomi cried, rubbing her eyes frantically. More tears only streamed down her cheeks as she sniffled. "I understand if you're mad. I'm- I'm sorry I made you worry about me."

She wiped her eyes again. All that crying after All Might's fight and she still had so many tears left. "But... I couldn't just do nothing! Not after everything- I wanted- needed to help Bakugou! I couldn't live with myself if I just stood by, not again... I- I didn't want to be a useless person...!"

At those words the tension left both her parents' bodies almost immediately. They shared a look and Hitomi's dad felt his breath hitch, covering his own eyes with his hand. One of the things he hated most was seeing his daughter cry.