Ch. 11 - Cavalry Battle

A/N: Remember how I said the obstacle course was the longest chapter? Well, that was a lie. This chapter's even longer.

Also, I realized I never properly explained Hitomi's quirk, and why it heats up, but I promise that will be explained in the chapter after the next one.

----------

Hitomi was trying to catch her breath when she heard voices calling her name.

"Hitomi!"

She turned to see Kirishima, Mina, and Sero running towards her.

"Hitomi, you little cheat!" Kirishima exclaimed.

"Ch-cheat?!"

Mina clenched her fists in frustration. "Using your force fields like that, I bet you didn't struggle at all!"

Kaminari ran a hand through his hair as he approached. "Yeah, you hardly had any trouble with the obstacles..."

Hitomi sweatdropped, holding her hands up in apology. "Well, Midnight said anything was allowed, so I just did what would help me get through the course faster... I mean, at least I didn't freeze people to the ground, right?"

"Yeah, that Todoroki..." Sero started, "I thought he was already amazing during the battle training, but he froze an entire zero pointer like it was no problem. That's a recommended student for you..."

The conversation drifted off as Midnight called for everyone's attention. "The first game for the first-year stage is over! Now, take a look at the results!"

Hitomi's eyes glazed over the scoreboard, finding a picture of her by her placement.

6th place...!!! That's a lot better than I would've expected...

"The top 42 made it through the next round. It's unfortunate, but don't worry even if you didn't make it! We've prepared other chances for you to shine.

The real competition begins next! The press cavalry'll be all over it!

Now then, here is the second game."

The projection behind Midnight started the slot machine animation again as she said, "I already know what it is, but what could it be? What could it be?"

Hitomi held her breath as the animation continued before stopping on the words "Cavalry Battle".

Cavalry battle...?

Midnight gave an introduction of the game, where people could be in teams of two to four and were assigned point values based on who was on the team.

"Points assigned go up by five starting from the bottom. So 42nd place gets 5 points, and 41st gets ten points!"

So I have... 185 points!

"And the point value assigned to first place is...

10 MILLION!!"

Midoriya went stock still.

Everyone turned to him, intimidating waves radiating off of them.

Midnight looked at the crowd, a satisfied smile on her face. "That's right. It's survival of the fittest, with a chance for those at the bottom to overthrow the top!"

----------

Midnight gave everyone 15 minutes to form teams, causing the crowd of students to disperse.

...

All of Class A seemed to gravitate towards Bakugou, begging him to be on their team.

Hitomi looked around aimlessly, seeing teams start to form already.