Ch. 34 - Words of Wisdom

Mr. Compress.

Himiko Toga.

Dabi, Twice.

Spinner, Magne.

Mustard, Muscular, Moonfish.

A Nomu.

And... Ghost.

Those were the names of the villains who attacked the camp that were filed on the police report when emergency services finally arrived. Only three villains had been taken into custody.

On the Pro Heroes' side, one was in serious condition after a head injury. Another had lost a lot of blood and was missing.

Out of the 41 students... 15 were unconscious and in serious condition from the villains' toxic gas. Eleven had varying major or minor injuries. Only 14 were unharmed.

And one student... was missing.

After help had arrived, treating everyone's injuries and getting statements... Hitomi was lucky enough to go home after the incident, being one of the 14 with no real injuries to speak of.

Her family had all treated her like a fragile vase when she got home, afraid that if they'd pushed or prodded too much Hitomi would fall apart.

If she was being honest, she felt like she could break down at any minute.

She'd stupidly gone off on her own when there was an unknown amount of villains in the area, ignoring direct orders from a pro hero and allowing herself to come face-to-face with a villain. Allowing herself to get captured.

And then, when she was set free... all she could do was watch uselessly as Bakugou was taken away.

The villain's words rang in her mind.

"A quirk in the hands of another useless hero."

"A hero so useless... that they fail to protect the people they're supposed to."

Useless.

So completely, utterly, useless.

Hitomi collapsed onto her bed, choking back sobs as she smushed her face into her pillow.

What kind of "hero" am I?

I couldn't save Nari back then.

I couldn't save Bakugou during exams.

I couldn't even save him when he was three feet away from me.

I can never save anyone.

By now Hitomi was crying, her tears soaking into her pillow.

Face it, Hitomi.

No matter how hard you try, you will never be a hero.

All you are... is someone useless.

Her thoughts were interrupted as a soft knock was heard at her door.

"Go away," she immediately said.

Instead of hearing retreating footsteps, she heard her bedroom door creak open.

"Hitomi...?"

It was Nari.

Hitomi turned away from her best friend, not wanting to be seen in such a sorry state. She choked back more sobs, feeling her mattress dip as Nari took a seat by her feet.

The blonde's voice was soft as she spoke. Careful. "...I heard about what happened."

Hitomi only stayed silent.