Ch. 45 - Search and Rescue Operative

A/N: This chapter is really badly paced, in my honest opinion. I was trying to make sure I didn't copy everything down word-for-word, and I may have sacrificed a good flow for this chapter in order to do that.

Just thought I'd let you all know in case you think this one's weird.

----------

"A terrorist attack by villains has unfolded! The scope of the damage encompasses the entire city, and the collapsed buildings have injured a great many!" Mera's voice sounded through the loudspeakers.

The walls of the reception room swung open, the same way the orientation area had.

"The damage to the roads is severe, causing considerable delays to the first-responders! The heroes on the scene must lead the rescue efforts until they make it there."

Hitomi ran out to the debris with the rest of the class, right as a horn sounded.

"Save as many lives as you can, even if it's just one!!"

She followed Midoriya and the others to the closest pile of rubble, hearing a loud voice wailing.

"You've gotta save him!"

There seemed to be a small child, dirty and covered in fake blood, with tears streaming down his face. A portion of the class surrounded him as he continued to cry.

"Grandpa, he's over there! He... he got crushed!"

"Oh no, this is bad!" Midoriya said worriedly. "Where?!"

"What the hell was that?! Points docked!" the child exclaimed, throwing everyone off. "Shouldn't you confirm whether or not I can walk?! And if I'm breathing funny?! What about the amount of blood pouring out of my head?! If you've got a provisional license you oughta be able to judge the victim's situation in an instant!"

Are the people from the Help Us Company gonna be grading us?!

The child continued lecturing Midoriya, telling everyone to look around them. The people from other schools were clearing debris, making open areas for temporary refuges for the victims, and locating victims that were hidden from view. They knew exactly what they were doing.

The child wiped some blood away from his eye. "You do realize we're all suffering an immense amount of pain and anxiety? The first words out of your mouth should not be 'oh no, this is bad!'"

Hitomi watched as Midoriya suddenly slapped his cheeks, before a bright smile erupted on his face.

"It's alright!"

The child immediately went back to crying, prompting Midoriya to pick him up and take him to the first aid area.

"You guys go ahead!" he told everyone before running off.

...

Hitomi decided to follow after Iida and the others, following her class rep's instructions along with the upperclassmen's from other schools.

She held up unstable structures with her force fields as her classmates carried victims out, and made makeshift gurneys to take those unconscious or unable to walk to the temporary refuges the other schools had made.

Although she was anxious, she followed the advice that child- or, well, she supposed it was an adult since he was a professional rescue victim- had given Midoriya, doing her best to comfort the injured as she helped them out.

As she was taking the latest victim she'd found to a nearby refuge, her mind drifted back to Yoshiho.

She seemed pretty cross when I ran into her, and she wasn't talking to anyone earlier... Would she be able to pass this portion of the test...?