Ch. 42 - And the Test Begins

A/N: After lots and lots of deliberation and contemplation, I've finally decided to change Hitomi's English voice actor. Kira Buckland, while she shared the deepness of her voice that Saori Hayami has, her overall tone just wasn't what I was really going for. The longer I thought about it, the more I thought that her voice sounded too confident and didn't have that certain innocence or gracefulness that Saori Hayami is able to convey. I still love her as a voice actor of course, but she just wasn't the voice I was really going for for Hitomi.

So after literal hours of research, Hitomi's new English voice actor would be Xanthe Huynh (Sachi from Sword Art Online)! :D Instead of looking for someone who could sound like Saori, I decided to have Hitomi's English voice focus on that innocence and overall nervousness, regardless of how deep it is. Xanthe is the one I went with ^^

----------

"I'm Mera from the Heroes Public Safety Commission," a tired man with blonde hair muttered from his place on the podium.

Hitomi craned her neck to see the stage at the front of the orientation area as the sleep-deprived man struggled through his speech, readjusting the goggles on her forehead.

"... the first thing you'll be tested on is speed," he grunted as the large screen behind him flashed to the words, "Number to Pass 1st Test: 100 People".

Everyone in the auditorium audibly gasped, as there were over 1,500 examinees testing for their license.

"Didn't they say half would pass...?" Yaoyorozu muttered next to Hitomi.

"...Shit. 100's not a lot with this many people," Hitomi said, feeling her stomach turn.

"So anyway, here are the requirements," Mera said as he pulled out a ball and what looked like a small target. "The examinee will put three of these targets on their body. They can go anywhere as long as it's an exposed area. You can't put them on the soles of your feet or in your armpits."

An animation showed up on the screen behind him, giving a visual of his explanation before it displayed an image of six of the balls he was holding. "You'll also have six of these balls. The targets are made to only light up if they're hit by these balls, and if all three of your targets light up, then you're out. The person who lights up your third target will have it count as their defeat. You get through this round by defeating two people."

Some men at the stage holding boxes dispersed, likely to hand out the balls and targets, before Mera continued with the last of his directions. "We'll open once everything has been distributed, and then we'll start one minute after we've gotten to everyone."

Open...?

Hitomi felt the ground rumble before she heard a loud creaking noise from above, prompting her to look up at the ceiling. Sunlight streamed through the roof as it opened, the walls of the orientation area collapsing outward to settle on the ground.

It turned out they were in the middle of a large stadium, different types of terrain spread throughout that reminded Hitomi of USJ.

"I believe you all have terrain that you like and dislike. Use your quirks well and do your best."

Hitomi gaped at all the different areas of the stadium, reminded for the umpteenth time the wealth of heroics.

I really need to try and stop getting surprised all the time.

----------

Hitomi ran with Midoriya and the rest of the class through the arena, waiting for the test to begin. Bakugou and Todoroki had decided to go off on their own, the former being unreasonably stubborn as usual while the latter left to utilize his quirk to the fullest.