Ch. 47 - A New Friend

A/N: Okay remember how I said this is where the heavy Bakutomi plot begins

That was a lie lol

We got one more chapter with my baby Yoshiho, and then the Bakutomi arc will begin, I promise. I'm dubbing it "Momo's Birthday Arc", because, well, that title's relevant to what will happen. It'll start slow at first, but once it gets going, it's heavy. ;)

----------

Hitomi paced around the kitchen while the rest of the class was gathered in the common area, grasping her phone as she tried psyching herself up

She'd excitedly texted a picture of her license to her family and Nari, and had now spent the past half hour or so trying to muster the courage to send Yoshiho a text.

Hitomi had only been able to become friends with her class because a majority of them were friendly and outgoing people.

So the fact that this was one of the few times she was going to initiate a friendship on her own, with someone who was just as quiet as her, if not even moreso, was nerve-wracking to say the least. It was different from when she'd become friends with Kirishima, because with him, he had been so open and friendly, making it easy.

This time it all fell on her to be the open one.

Hitomi sighed, deleting the latest message she'd attempted to type.

What am I even thinking?! I'm not a sociable person... she never even liked me to begin with, and just because she apologized to me, that doesn't mean she'd want anything to do with me now.

I'm hopeless...

Hitomi stared at the blank message screen, her eyes glossing over Yoshiho's contact name.

Koatsu.

I'm... I'm not doing this to be... arrogant, am I?!

Hitomi blanched at the intrusive thought, setting her phone down on the counter.

No. I'm doing this because...

Because I know what it's like to feel lonely. To feel like everything is your fault.

And I want to help her the same way everyone's helped me...

Hitomi didn't really know enough about Yoshiho's social status, but from what she could garner during the short time they were at the exam, not only did people steer clear of her, but it seemed like Yoshiho chose to try and isolate herself.

Hitomi picked her phone back up, typing a short and simple message this time. Before she could hesitate, her thumb hit "Send", leaving her no room to take it back.

Me: Hey! It's Hitomi, from the license exam.

The bluenette held her breath, watching her phone for any sign Yoshiho had seen her message. Just as she was about to give up and switch her phone off, message bubbles appeared, meaning Yoshiho was typing something in reply.

Koatsu: yes. Kanetsukabe, right?

Hitomi breathed a sigh of relief, glad that Yoshiho had decided to keep her number and was open for conversation.

Now it was up to Hitomi to keep that conversation going.

Me: yup! By the way, you can just call me hitomi, if you want to. So

Hitomi's thumbs hovered over the keyboard, the message unfinished. Not a single topic was coming to mind, making Hitomi grit her teeth in frustration.

Why did social anxiety have to be such a bitch?!

Just... ask something, she thought.

Me: yup! By the way, you can just call me hitomi, if you want to. So what's shiketsu like?
Koatsu: I'd say it's pretty rigorous. from what I've heard about UA, shiketsu is a lot stricter compared to your school's looser style of teaching
Me: Wow! Really?? :0
Koatsu: yeah.

It seemed as if the conversation had ended there, and Hitomi didn't want to end it on such an awkward note.

Me: what kind of training do you do?
Koatsu: we start with the same kinds of drills every day, and then we follow whatever lesson plan was designated for that week
Koatsu: we focused entirely on combat training during the last week of first term, for example
Me: wow, that IS a lot different from ours
Me: we kind of do random exercises every day, unless there's something specific they want us working on

Yoshiho didn't say anything after that, leaving Hitomi feeling awkward again. It was then that the class had finally decided to turn in for the night, and everyone dispersed, leaving Hitomi to try racking her brain for anything else she could talk about. As she entered her room, her eyes trailed to the constellation chart by her bed, giving her an idea.

Me: what kind of stuff do you like?

Hitomi didn't get a reply for several minutes, making her sigh as she made her way to her bathroom to brush her teeth. Once she had finished, she plugged in her phone, about to turn off the light before her phone pinged. She quickly grabbed it, scanning the message.

Koatsu: pardon?

Hitomi let out a little chuckle. It seemed that when Yoshiho wasn't angry, she had that sort of slight obliviousness to her. It reminded Hitomi a little of Todoroki.

Me: I mean hobbies, or stuff you just generally enjoy. I really like science!
Koatsu: Oh.
Koatsu: I enjoy jogging, I guess.
Koatsu: and onigiri...
Me: onigiri, huh? I haven't had any in a while haha XD

Hitomi cringed at what she just sent. Oh my god, I could feel the awkward in that...

Me: I really like boba!
Koatsu: I've never had that before...

Hitomi stared at that message for a solid three seconds.

Me: if you ever come to Musutafu, I am dragging you to the boba place my best friend works at
Koatsu: ?
Me: if you ever try happen to try boba, it should come from my friend's workplace. I think you'd like her.
Koatsu: Ah.

Hitomi yawned, feeling the conversation had finally drifted off. She stared back at their messages, happy with the progress she'd made with the other girl. I hope she doesn't think I'm annoying or anything...

Me: Anyways, it's late. I should head to bed
Me: good night, koatsu
Koatsu: Good night.

It seemed there was still an air of awkwardness between the two of them, but Hitomi was glad she had reached out and made a new friend.

----------

A/N: I hope Yoshiho's switch from an opposing force to Hitomi to a (maybe? possibly?) friend isn't too abrupt, or out of place. She's essentially to Hitomi what Todoroki is to Deku, and I hope I was able to carry that out well enough.

I decided to change the format of how texts will appear, because 1) the old format did not look that great, and 2) I can't format Hitomi's texts to the right on FF.net -.-