34th Chapter - Longing

I widened my eyes. Was he serious? Even though he definitely gave me tummy tingles, my life was set in Inverness.

"Arwyn, I...", I began, but he interrupted me with a kiss. "It's all good. I know you love them both. But, should that ever change, you know where to find me." he said laughing and blushing a little.

I smiled at him and was glad that he didn't try to persuade me. "How long have you guys been together, anyway?" "Garreth and I have been a couple since April." "Are you serious? A year earlier and you would have been single? Okay, THAT is depressing. Well, let's have a cigarette and then we should go take a shower."

I ran after him, onto a balcony that led to the courtyard. It was already dark and it was really cold outside. I snuggled as close to him as I could, and afterwards we walked hand in hand through the large corridors, where we ran into Rhys.

"Oh, the vampire lord has found a new victim? Glad to see it actually." he said smiling and was about to continue walking when stopped short, "Does that mean the other two cute guys are available again now?" "No, Caelie's just visiting, I'm afraid." "That's too bad.", Rhys puffed and continued walking, "I feel the same way.", Arwyn called after him with a laugh.

"He's got his eye on Garreth and Sebastian.", he said quietly when we had moved away a little. "Should I tell those two?" "Why not? I wouldn't be mad if we had one more reason to see each other more often."

"And you guys are getting along, despite this whole situation?", I asked when we reached the bathroom. "Yes, even better than before, I'd say. It's just that we've been able to be really honest with each other. You can't imagine how much he cried when he understood that I was never really keen on the status of duke, and when Rachel told him that I wanted to give him the dukedom anyway, he really couldn't contain himself for a while. But what happened can't be undone just because he regrets it now."

Together we stood in the shower embedded in the floor and washed.

"What about your mother, by the way?" "I barely remember her to be honest. She left before my dad and Rachel got together and Rhys was born, after all. I must have been three or something then. She must have run off to live with her new boyfriend. She can do whatever she wants. I've got my family here. I don't need her. Tell me, what's it like with your family?"

"My parents have been a couple since their late teens and are still one heart and soul." "I think it's so enviable when people find their partner for life so early," Arwyn said, running water through his scarred but beautiful face.

After our shower, we went back upstairs where we blow-dried each other's hair dry. Afterwards we lay down in bed, watched some TV and fell asleep snuggled up close to each other.

I had a really nice relaxing dream and woke up the next morning to Arwyn still sleeping snuggled up to me and snoring a little.

I looked at him and stroked his cheek as he quite sleepily half-opened one eye, blushed and hugged me tightly. "Good morning, Caelie." he said softly and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

Together we got up and both walked out of his room naked. He didn't seem to mind just walking around unclothed either and so it felt less strange to me. We spent most of the day together in the conservatory, cuddling. It was only when a dressmaker brought me the dress Arwyn had requested for me that we remembered to look at my mobile phone.

In fact, I only had one message from Sebastian, who wanted to know if everything was all right. I answered him when Arwyn was already standing behind me again and snuggling up to me.

"You're even cuddlier than those two at home, and that's really something." "Does that bother you?" "No. It's just unexpected." "Well, even people like me can be complex. I can take advantage of you, and the next moment give you everything I own. I can yell at you, insult you, and hit you, and the next moment I'm probably the most loving man in this world. I can be social, and enjoy meeting friends often, and still love to lie here on the sofa and look up at the sky. And I can cut you bleeding wounds, and the next moment spend hours combing your hair or massaging your shoulders."