Chapter 5| I Saw It Coming

Flashback
15 January 2018
Kaduna state

Anisha's POV

It has been three days since I came home on request, lectures and everything was going on at school. Hajiya Zahra Mukhtar's mom and her sisters were in Kaduna so she requested that I come to Kaduna for my dinner and cocktail gown measurement.

We are on our way to the designer shop together with Sabrina. Hajiya Zahra is there already, she is waiting for us to reach there. Baba's driver was the one taking us.

"I can't believe I am doing this with you, Ya Anisha," she stubbornly whines. This girl something else.

"I am begging Sabrina, stop that these people are my in-laws it won't be nice to present a rude sister with no face, throwing words at me anyhow." I hissed.

"Call me rude if you want, I am watching out for you, that's all." She rolled her eyes, The girl was just fourteen but she had too much attitude and so-called principles.

"Watching out for me because of what? These people like me, they are so nice and kind to me for God's sake Sabrina, what do you want me to do, to say no to her? I was exasperated by her I don't care expression.

"I am watching out for you because I am observant while you are not, you don't even know what you are getting yourself into Ya Anisha, first and foremost isn't he the same Mukhtar that you were complaining that he isn't calling you frequently and doesn't return your calls? Why? Because he is working, but here you are quitting school in the middle of the semester just to go for some silly measurement and fitting.” She scoffed annoyingly.

“The double standard is so clear, if not, why would they even ask you to come all the way from Kaduna even though they know that it is the middle of a semester? This is because they don't take your studies seriously." She exhaled angrily. I felt it too at first but what could I do about it, Mama, Aunt Saudah, Aunt Nana and Umma Hamida called me over 100 times asking me to catch the morning flight a day before I came. Aunt Haseena called me and gave me some soap and a face cream to use to add up to my beauty before I got to meet them. Everyone was so excited to remember that school was going on and I was in my final year, so how could I say no to them?

"What do you mean? If that is the case then it is not them that you should blame, it's our parents." I huffed.

"That is the precised point, Ya Anisha, This woman wasn't supposed to call you in the first place, she was supposed to call Mama and ask because you didn't marry her son, ultimately. But she used your eager submission and desperation to have you guys wrap around her finger and she flawlessly success at it. Secondly, the double standard doesn't end from their side but also ours too. If not what is all this Dinner, Kamu, and cocktails something? Whose wedding were all these allowed in the family? Even Baba the self proclaimed man of principle surprised me by allowing all these shits, is it because you are marrying a billionaire or what? Remember when Sadeeqah was getting married? She just asked for permission to hold a bridal shower with her female friends at home but turned into a massive blowout, Uncle Haneef traveled all the way from Lagos to give her five hot slaps. And his excellency Baba was the one who gathered the family meeting about the case and even called her a disappointment before the eyes of her father and now, here you are coming all the way from Kano just to give some measurements and the worst part is they are the I'd paying for it." She spoke out with loathe. Exhaustively ashamed of what was going on. Well, she was right about the wedding events but it is not like I can do something about it.