Chapter 36| Fire Cracker

Flashback
Anisha's POV

“Anisha, what is wrong with them? I have even fished out the ones that are hard to use, you have to relax and pay attention.

“Jalila you won't understand the way I am feeling about this thing, the uncertainty is on another level.” A day after the terrible anniversary celebration, Jalila shows up in the morning after Mukhtar leaves for work. She was sorting out the products sent by Mama and the one she brought.

“Anisha, the last person that can harm you in the world is your mother and here she is putting you on the same track as I did before and I am still doing now, everyone around you is trying for you but you are just good in the act of ungratefulness, but if you don't want, we can still wait for you to receive the average amount of beating and humiliation that would make assured.” She rolled her eyes exasperated.

“No Jalila, it is not what you are thinking, I am just a first-timer, that was why.” I retrieved my complaint.

“Then relax, nothing is going to happen except goodness and more.”She said pouring out a thick liquid into a measuring cup and passing it to me.

“Down this before I am done mixing the perfume.” She said.

My hands were shaking when I took it and I took a sip of the syrup, it wasn't as bad as I expected but the taste was bizarre. After that, she asked me to go and bathe with a liquid with leaves particles and other things I couldn't tell what was in a bottle of water. After that, she put a knot in my hair and tied it into a ponytail, rubbed the perfume all over me, and steamed my body with some herbs.

“If we do this for the next five days, we will get him trapped and out of that rubbish mindset Anisha but except if you don't remove the knot.” She warned me on my way to escort her to the parking lot.

“I hope so Jalila, I hope for the day when this man will be nice to me, like even if he is not going to be friendly, he will stop abusing me, especially in front of my daughter,” I said, as her driver opened the door for her.

“Even then, it was your choice to suffer Anisha, wait and catch a glimpse of what you have been missing all this while, I will be on my way Anisha, I stop at school and pick Amna, I will see you tomorrow.” She entered the car.

“As you always said.” I rolled my eyes and hit the car door playfully. We bit each other goodbye and she left.

I was startled the moment I saw Sabrina in the mini parlor near the foyer when I entered. If that is the case then Sabrina has heard everything because Jalila is not the one to speak in a low-pitched tone. She was busy typing something on her computer when my guilt pushed me to her, I just wanted to know if she heard something.

She is still cold with me and constantly gives me no more than a yes or no response but I will still make an effort.

“Sabrina, what are you typing? Are you aiming to be a writer? I tapped on her shoulder as I passed to sit adjacent to her. To my greatest surprise, she looked up at me and smiled.

“No, I am typing an assignment.” She politely replied, what a relief!

“Part one assignment is always shitty, hell the entire level is stressing, a bunch of materials with no direction, and a lot of assignments they don't mark, that level is not humorous at all,” I ranted, remembering my early days, I can not count how many times I cried, I was young and naive.

“From the look of things you are nothing other than right, it was just yesterday that I was telling Abdul Majeed that the University is after my life, the entire place is not funny at all.” She replied in detail, Wow! Who is this? I was amazed to have her talk like this after what felt like forever.