53

[📞☎️ You called Mum 👩‍💻]
🔈
🔊
🔈

"Mandy?"

"Hey Mum. It's so good, to hear your voice", I say, and I really mean it.

"It's good, to hear your voice too, honey. How is my little girl?"

"It's... I'm, uhm Mum, actually", I don't know what to say. I mean, I expected this question, but I didn't thought, it would be that hard to tell my mum, that I was breaking up my studies, that Amy's and my friendship broke, and that my heart was nearly shattered by a boy.

"Mandy?"

"It's just a lot going on right now, mum", I say instead of a real answer. "How are you?"

"Actually I'm good - better than ever." My mum makes a pause. "I've moved."

"Wait, what?"

"Yeah, I was surprised too, but you know, I always liked south Ontario more than the west, and... I got a job in a law office, and it's actually really great."
My mum works as a lawyer, and she's always been on the run - the move from Suffolk, England to Canada years ago didn't change anything about that.

"Oh wow. That's... really big news."

"Yes, it is, but it's so great, such a wonderful city, really nice neighbours, a supermarket right in front of the door, and only a few steps to the next park..."

"I liked the old house", I interrupt her. "I really liked it."

"Oh darling, i know you did", my mum says. "But since you've moved out, and I was working way more, the house was just too big, and I wanted something tiny and cute and more proper."

"You could've talked about that with me", I say, but I know, that it wouldn't have changed anything. We see each other barely, only one, or two weekends per month, and that would have never been an argument, to hold the house. We both know that, and my mum doesn't answer. I breath in and out and then say: "So tell me, where exactly you moved to! Do you now live in Toronto?", I laugh. "I just was there, you know? I could've stopped by."

"Toronto? Really? You know, I'm really often in town for my job. I want to hear everything about it, when you visit me the next time!" I hear her smile. "But no, I didn't move to Toronto. It's really close to that, but much better, because less big, and the people are a bit more calm, I think" She makes a pause. "It's a way more cute town with roundabout 90,000 habitants. You probably never heard about it", she laughs.

Do you know this feeling when you're on a rollercoaster, and you're up on the highest point, and you know, the next second, you will get this kick where you fall?
Right now, this is one of those moments. My mum says something, and I need several seconds, to process what she said. Then, I realize what she'd say.
"It's not Toronto. It's Pickering."