66

When she's on her way home, I'm still standing on the driveway, in the midst of the snow, the pullover in my hand. Green and blue, woolen, warm and cozy. I shake my head. "As we don't know winter a few hundred kilometers from here." But even though, I'm wondering about Shawns behaviour, I can't but admit, that this is a really nice gesture.

"I saw, that you were talking with Ally?", my mother asks, when I enter the room.

"You know Aaliyah?!", I am really surprised, even though I shouldn't, because my mother apparently got to know her neighbours in the two months she's now living here, very well. Well, not good enough, to know, that Karen is Shawn Mendes mother. I promised myself that it wouldn't be the first thing, I would ask my mum, when I come in, but in the next second, I hear myself saying: "Did you know, that Karen is Karen Mendes, the mother of Shawn Mendes?"

My mother frowns. "Who?" For a second, she seems to think, then she looks really surprised. "You mean Shawn Mendes, the pop-singer?"

"Yes, I do. Why didn't you tell me about that? You know, that I'm not a fangirl."

"Maybe because I didn't know that, honey?" My mother laughs. "If I had known it, I would've told you of course."

"You just could've warned me", I say, knowing, that I'm being unfair. My mum doesn't know anything about me and Shawn and everything. "If you told me, that Ally was Aaliyah, I would've probably known it."

"Well, I'm very sorry I weren't capable to warn you", my mother says. "But isn't this all more a reason for happiness? I mean, you're probably gonna meet Shawn Mendes! He's kinda hot, isn't he?" She giggles a bit, and I roll my eyes. „Mum!"

"What? If I were roundabout twenty years younger..."

"But you aren't", I grin. "Even though you're still good-looking, mum. - For a fourty-seven-year old", I add.

"Thank you, very much for this generous compliment", my mother laughs. "But what about you?! Nathan is the past, and I always thought, you'd like Shawn Mendes' music, don't you?"

"Yes, I do. I absolutely do", I say after a short pause. "But I never said, I would like Shawn Mendes, too. He's kinda arrogant."

"You'd never met him, did you? Where do you want to know that from? Probably, there is a real chance, that you'll meet him, when we visit Karen the next time."

"I already did meet him. Roundabout an hour ago on the street before Karen's house."

"Oh."

"Yes. It really was on Oh."

"And how'd you like him?"

I need a pause to decide what to say. My mother is looking so hopeful, that I can't say, that Shawn didn't even want me to come to his family dinner, not talking about everything, that happened the weeks before. I hem. "He gave me his pullover, so that I don't catch a cold."

My mum beams. "Oh darling, that's super nice! Such a kind boy."

"Yeah. Really. Very nice." I think of the way, Shawn called me a liar, and how he asked me in the elevator how much money I wanted to let him alone. "Very kind boy."