125

***

"There is this girl who let me think
That everytime, I feel I'm in the sin-king
She will catch my hand, and she'll be my everything."

Shawn's voice's getting soft and a bit husky, and it makes me shiver. Watching him sing these lyrics, underlining it with a melody that fits so unbelievable perfect, that it feels like it was always meant to be this way.
When Shawn gives me a sign, I start singing the second part, and something warm, yeah almost hot, is streaming through my veins.

"There is this boy who makes me dream of what could be, of what could happen
When I let go all my guards
When I break down these walls."

"Go
Don't let go
Your dreams
Although
Oh these cloudless skies might become gray"

"Will you tell me
Will you tell me
To stay or to go?"

...

***

There's a long silence after the last chords have echoed.

"I want this to be on the album", Shawn says suddenly, and I stare at him. "Wait – what?!"

"Yeah."

"You serious?"

"Yeah, I absolutly am. – But just if you want that too. I'm not gonna use your lyrics – and your voice without your permission."

"Let me just reveal this: You – Shawn Mendes – want me to collaborate with him for his new album?"

"Good to hear that you know my name", Shawn says kinda amused.

"Shawn Mendes wants me to be on his album", I repeat, and I can't believe it.

"You'd say my name twice now. Should I be worried? Are you only searching for a way to use my name for your fame?", Shawn says with a grin in his voice. But I can hear a little insecureness, a little irritation, there too. I roll my eyes and take his hand. "I am just saying your name that often, cause I can't believe it. I mean you are like one of the greatest songwriters ever, and I really, really admire your songwriting – I always did, you know that. – And now you're asking me to collaborate with you. That's just ... amazing."

"I never wanted to suspect something", Shawn says apologetically, and I lean forward to kiss him. "I know you didn't." Our lips brush against each other, and for some moments we're occupied with other things than talking. When we get some distance between us, our hands still crossed, the guitar laying somewhere on the couch behind me, I remember something. "Wait – did you say, I should sing, too?"

"Uh-uh, yes, I did."

I stare at him with big eyes.

He rolls his eyes a bit. "C'mon Mandy, you've got a great voice. Really beautiful, and you're able to reach a lot of notes that most of the people wouldn't even try to reach."

"Well yeah, but maybe that's with a reason."

"You mean, just as in High School Musical? The audition day?"

"I didn't know that you knew HSM." I am really surprised. "But yeah. Just as in that scene. Maybe you should say something like: 'Oh Cyndra, how couragous to sing notes that the human ear can't hear. – Maybe at the winter musical. NEXT!'"

"I wouldn't say anything like this. I would give you the lead-role in the summer-musical", Shawn grins and kisses me again. Then, he gets serious again. "Look, I wouldn't ask you for this, if I wasn't sure, that it would be perfect, believe me."

After some seconds just looking into each others eyes, I nod. "Okay."

His eyes lighten up. "Really?"

"Yeah, really." I can't but smile. Suddenly, I am very excited.

Then I remember something.

I hem. "But what about the media? And the fans?"

The light in Shawn's eyes eases. "What's with them?"

"The paparazzi are already sneaking around the building, following you on every step and every second, they're giving head-lines about our supposed relation-ship, and that's while none of us confirmed it yet. They actually don't have a single photo of the both of us in which one can identify me. But what do you think, they'll do with me appearing on the album? They'd surely find out that I'm more than just a Co-Songwriter and a nice voice on one of your songs. - And what do you think will your fans do? I mean it's not like I'm laying awake at night because of this, but it did occure me of course, that there are some fans that don't like the imagination of you and me."

Shawn's jaw clenches. He's thinking.
He runs his fingers through his hair. "They're gonna accept it. They have to accept it."

"But what if they don't? Shawn, I know we should've had this conversation earlier, but now it is what it is. So all I'm asking is: Do you think, your fans can handle that you got a new", I hesitate. Shawn and I didn't really put a label on what we have right now. "New love interest?"

I can see how his eyes sparkle, me using this word, but he's not saying anything on it. I don't know, if I am disappointed or if I am glad, that he didn't correct me, by saying, we'd be just an "affaire". Cause that's definitely not what it feels like. I look at him.

He's not answering directly, and that's something that I really love about Shawn. He's not answering quickly and reassuring me directly, that his fans would never hate the fact that he's together with me. He would never just tell me that the Mendes-Army would love me just as he does. (The whole is-it-love-topic has actually still not really been on the table, but I think we both have a feeling for what is between us - and love would be a very proper word for the butterflies, the sparkles and the emotions I feel, when we're talking, touching - even when we're in the same room. It would describe the urge to always be around Shawn; the wish to call him late at night, when he's just off stage; the warmth and comfortness, when I wake up in the morning, and Shawn is laying next to me - his face turned to mine, his eyes sleepy but full of light and with that special smile.)

He's still thinking, and then he suddenly says: "Would you like to have a date with me? Tonight?"

I don't ask why he's coming up with this question now, and I don't request the context, I'm just glad, that he's smiling again, and it's a smile that reaches his eyes. It's full of sparks and as what I can see, it's full of hope.

I smile back. "Sure."