~ Eight ~

Olivia's pov

Today we were playing Austria and I was captaining my first match for England.

Of course I had captained the Tar Heels back in 2018 and 2019 so I knew exactly what to do but it was so nerve wracking knowing that I was captaining my country.

"The fact that I can say that my girlfriend is captain today makes me so proud." Less randomly says as we get changed in our room.

"Does it now?" I smile at her

"Yeah, it does. I mean I'm buzzing for you, I can't imagine how you must be feeling."

"Nervous." I admit

"Why are you nervous, baby. I mean you were the best captain the Tar Heels had ever seen. Everyone knew that." Less points out

"I know but it's different for your country."

"Don't be worried, my love. You are gonna be the best captain that England will have seen." Less comes and kisses my head.

"That's until Leah comes back. I like being vice captain, don't get wrong, I mean you get the title of being vice captain when you don't even do anything, but I do love being captain. I loved being captain for the Tar Heels. I mean, you get to argue with the ref." I laugh, joking at that last sentence.

"And you are good at being captain. I'm so proud of you, livvy."

"Thank you, less."

————————

"Liv, are you ready for your first match as captain?" Lucy asks me as we were in the changing rooms.

"I mean, I am, but I'm confused about it all. Not about being captain, I know exactly what to do, but why am I vice captain? I mean I'm still 22. Why didn't it go to Millie, or you, who are actually good at being captain?" I explain

"Kid, it doesn't matter if you are 22 or 32, if Sarina can see that you have good leadership skills then she would give you the role as vice captain and I am so glad she did, because between you and Leah, everyone knows that they have some of the best captains. Now, I have high hopes for tonight's match, and I have even higher hopes for the next match. You being the amazing captain and striker you are, are going to make us win tonight, and Tuesday. I just know it's gonna be another big scoreline on Tuesday and it will all be because of your amazing captain and striker skills. You've got to believe me kid, you deserve to be vice captain." Lucy hugs me

"Thanks, Luce."

————————

Once everyone finishes changing and makes their way to the tunnel or bench, I stay behind in the changing rooms, sat down staring at the armband.

"Do you need some help putting it on?" I hear lessi say from the door.

"Are you sure I'll be a good captain?"

"Oh, livvy, you will be an amazing captain. You were my captain when we played for the tar heels and you were the best captain they had ever seen. Now, come on, I'll help you put it on." Less walks over to me and helps put the armband on my arm. "You deserve this, liv."

I kiss less passionately and she kisses back with just as much passion.

Millie then walks in to come check on us to see where we were but then starts laughing as she sees us.

"Not again." I complain and kiss lessi one last time on the cheek. "I love you."

"I love you too, captain." She smiles and walks towards the bench.

I walk to the front of everyone and feel Marys hands on my shoulders.

"You've got this, kid." She squeezes my shoulders before letting go.

"Thank you, Mary."

————————

We then walk out of the tunnel.

I had done it so many times, but I had never done it as captain, and it felt so surreal.

We then sing the national anthem and shake hands with the other team before going over to take a team photo.

We all huddle up and I make a quick captain speech.

————————

The match then kicks off and it seems to be an equal sided match.

In the 9', Beth mead gets fouled and I run straight to the ref and so does the other captain. I argue with the ref as she wasn't gonna give the free kick but my arguing somehow changed her mind. As I explained why it was a dodgy tackle, she agreed that it was.

Alex then took the free kick but it comes to nothing.

The 38' soon came along and Hempo crosses it into Beth but Beth passes it to fran who shoots but it's blocked by the goalkeeper and comes back to her. She then passes it to me and I kick it with all my power into the top of the net.

Beth then jumps onto me and hugs me.

Ella then runs to me too and hugs me.

It may not have been the prettiest of goals but to score it on my first appearance as the captain, it was special to me.

As we reset, I look over to less and she winks at me and smiles.

In the 41' Hempo decides to have a shot but it goes straight to the goalkeeper.

The 52', Austria run down the pitch with the ball and a player shoots but Mary manages to stretch up into the left corner and save it.

Sarina then calls me over whilst subs are being changed.

"You are doing amazing out there, liv. Keep doing what you are doing." Sarina tells me

"Thank you, Sarina." I run back into the pitch.

Three changes were made and before I knew it, the final whistle went.

"How was it, cap?" Less teases me as she makes her way onto the pitch.

"Its something I've only ever dreamed of." I say, getting a bit emotional.

Less pulls me into a hug and I just bury my head in her neck.

"I am so, so proud of you." Less whispers

————————

"And finally, to finish off, a massive Well done to Liv who was an amazing captain today. We wouldn't have won without her." Sarina finishes off the team talk and everyone claps.