~ thirty nine ~

Olivia's pov

The semi final against Sweden.

If we win this match, we get to go to the final at Wembley.

It was daunting knowing that the whole nation was wanting you to win.

There was so much pressure, but so much excitement at the same time.

This match was being played at Bramall Lane in Sheffield.

It was a decent ground, we had done the pitch inspection and it was all good.

————————

Once again, I lead us out, with the pennant in my hand.

Like always, we sang the national anthem and exchanged pennants before shaking hands and taking a team photo.

The match commences and straight away, they have a chance.

Luckily Mary saves it, otherwise we would have been 1-0 in one minute.

There were loads of chances for both teams, including a good shot from Blackstenius which hits the bar.

There were also a lot of fouls and free kicks.

In the 33', Georgia crosses the ball from the left wing into the box and I go to volley it but I miss it.

Lucy then gets the ball on the right wing, crossing it in again.

This time I let the ball bounce before keeping it in control and side kicking it into the bottom left corner.

I run to Lucy and she picks me up.

"Kiddo. You're something else you are."

The first half finishes and we're in the lead by one goal.

Within two minutes of the second half starting, we get a corner.

Beth takes it and delivers it straight to Lucy's head who headers into the goal.

There was a VAR decision that went on for a minute to two but it was decided that it was a goal.

In the 57', Ellen gets subbed off so less can come on.

I kiss lessi's cheek as she gets into position.

Ten minutes later, Fran crosses the ball into less who shoots but it is saved.

The ball ends up going to the right of the goal.

Less approaches the ball but seems hesitant as to what to do.

"Back heel it, less!" I shout loudly and she does just that.

I watched as the ball goes through the goalkeeper's legs and into the goal.

"What the fuck." I scream as I run for the corner with lessi. "What the fuck did you just do, baby?"

"I couldn't have done it without your creative brain, livvy." Less kisses me but it's cut short as everyone tackles less into a hug.

To seal one final goal, in the 75', Fran tries to chip the goalkeeper from outside the box.

The goalkeeper manages to get her hand on it, but she doesn't save it. It still manages to hit the back of the net.

The match ended 4-0 and it was confirmed that we would be playing in the final at Wembley on Sunday.

The whole stadium started singing sweet Caroline as we do our traditional lap of the pitch.

It was incredible. I just hope that they'll be doing the same thing at Wembley after the match on Sunday.

————————

"That goal was cheeky, less. You don't know how proud I am about that goal. It takes so much talent to score that." I tell her as we make out to the hotel on the coach.

"I should have scored the first shot though." Less tells me

"Are you kidding me, less? That's what you're thinking about?"

"Yeah, because it's true."

"Baby, stop thinking like that. Come on, you know that back heel was amazing. That goal will go down in history. It will be goal of the tournament, I'm telling you." I tell less and she pulls me in for a passionate kiss.

"I love you so much, baby." She says

"I love you too, lessi."