~ thirty seven ~

Olivia's pov

After travelling down to Southampton yesterday, it was time to play Northern Ireland in the last match in the group stages. 

Again, everyone had been on their top form during the training sessions this week and hopefully, like the last match, they be on their top forms.

Everyone was working so hard. They always had positivity, and had so much confidence.

————————

After warming up, and having Sarina explain strategies, it was time for kick off.

This match, I wasn't playing upfront. Sarina wanted to change it a bit, and had put me in right wing.

After the group photo and national anthems, we got into our positions and the match began.

The first forty minutes consisted of fouls, corners, and failed shots.

In the 40', Hempo shoots but is blocked by one go the Irish defenders and rolls on the floor and lands at my right foot.

Instinctively, I just shoot, without looking up.

I'd been a striker since I was 6 years old, it become a habit of shooting without looking. I mainly did it because I had gotten used to hitting the ball with certain parts of my boots.

If it hit a certain spot, I knew whether it would go in or not.

And I knew that this shot was going in, and it did. It flew through the sky and landed in the top right corner, far away from the goalkeeper. 1-0 to us.

Within five minutes, Beth had scored one too. A mistaken header from a defender lead to the ball landing at Beth's feet, and with an easy dribble round a defender, she got the ball in the bottom left.

The stadium cheered as she jumped into my arms.

At half time, Sarina makes three changes:

Ella Toone on for Georgia stanway
Alex Greenwood on for Millie bright
Alessia Russo on for Ellen white

The second half commences and within three minutes, I cross the ball into the box and less headers it into the bottom right corner.

She jumps into my arms and wraps her legs around my waist.

"That head of yours." I joke and kiss her head

We reset but just five minutes later, less breaks through the defence by an excellent turn, and shoots into the bottom right corner again, just missing the goalkeeper.

She turns around with a big smile on her face and hugs everyone.

I hug her before kissing her cheek.

"Well done, my love."

Chloe Kelly then comes on for Hempo.

After several more shots, we manage to get another goal.

I make a long cross into the box, hoping the ball would land at Chloe, however, an Irish defender intercepts and tries to get it away, but she kicks it on the wrong side of her foot and lands perfectly in the goal.

I genuinely didn't know what to do. Do I celebrate and rub it in? Everyone doesn't make a big deal out of it as technically, one of us didn't score.

The final whistle goes and I head straight to lessi.

"Amazing game, baby. Well done." I smile and wrap my arms around her neck.

"You too, my love." She kisses me and I smile into the kiss. "Why are so smiley?"

"Just knowing that my whole dream has come true. Playing football at my job, playing for my country, marrying you. It's all come true." I explain and she just brings me into another kiss. Just then, the camera comes along and we have to break apart. The media man for the lionesses came along and took a picture of us kissing so I knew that would be on the instagram page later.

————————

It was announced that we would be playing Spain in the quarterfinals.

Everyone knew it was going to be a hard match, but we still had hope.

See you soon, Spain.