~ thirty six ~

Olivia's pov

We were playing Norway today at Brighton's ground.

We had made our way here yesterday.

The past week at SGP has been a really good week, training wise.

Everyone was on top form during training and so I hope it shows during the match.

Me less walked around the stadium, hand in hand, doing a pitch inspection.

It was a nice ground, not as good as some, but still good.

————————

I walked out first, with the England pennant in my hand.

We all line up and sing the national anthem, before taking a team photo.

Once the whistle blew, everyone got into their best form for the match.

Straight away, we were having chances.

After ten minutes, in the penalty box, Ellen was tripped up and a penalty was awarded.

As the main penalty taker, I put the ball on the penalty spot before taking four big steps backwards.

I stand there, deciding where to place it in the goal.

The ref blows her whistle and I hit the ball, with a lot of power, into the top left corner.

I run to the corner of the pitch making an A with my fingers.

I think everyone realised the A stood for Alessia, as they all look over to her on the subs bench, and she was blushing.

Just four minutes later, Beth gets the ball and crosses it into Hempo who taps it in.

Everyone goes to celebrate but it's called offside. I knew it wasn't though.

"That wasn't offside. I'm telling you, it wasn't offside." I argue with the ref

"The lineswoman is saying it's offside." She points out

"Check VAR. It's there for situations like this. Go check, it definitely wasn't offside." I continued to argue

After a minute do deciding if it was offside or not, she blows her whistle and indicated that it was in fact not offside. We all celebrate

Ellen scores in the 29', making it 3-0. She does her iconic celebration and we all go and congratulate her.

To make it 4-0, I cross it into Beth and she headers it into the goal. The goalkeeper gets her hand to it, but the header was too good and she doesn't save it.

Just four minutes later, I make a run through the center of the box, dribbling past several defenders and shooting into the bottom right corner.

Three minutes after that, Beth crosses to me in the box and I see a defender coming straight at me, so I pass to Ellen who shoots. The defender doesn't stop running in time and runs straight into me, pushing me onto the floor. The ball goes in but I'm too busy on the floor, my shoulder in pain, after landing on it.

Ellen doesn't celebrate and comes straight to me to see if I'm alright.

"Are you okay, kid?"

"I'm fine. Just give me a minute and I'll be up." I tell her and then she goes to celebrate with everyone.

I get up and continue with the game, the pain in my shoulder still there but it's not as bad as it was.

The first half finishes 6-0.

"How's your shoulder, baby? Do you want me to massage it?" Less asks as she comes and hugs me in the changing rooms.

"Yes please, my love. That would help it." I say and she gently massages it.

After a moment, it's announced that we need to make our way back to the pitch.

The second half kicks off, and almost immediately, Beth gets tackled on the right wing.

The free kick is taken but it comes to nothing.

In the 57', three changes are made:

Ella Toone on for Beth Mead
Alex Greenwood on for Rachel Daly
Alessia Russo on for Ellen White

Just nine minutes after less came on, Lucy crosses the ball into the box and she headers it into the goal.

I run over to her and she picks me up, I kiss her head in the meantime.

Just to add the cherry on top, in the 80', Keira shoots from outside the box and it hits the goalkeepers leg and lands on mine and I kick it in.

After the final whistle blew, I was awarded the ball for my hat rick.

I go up to all my teammates and with a big smile on my face, high five and hug them all.

With six points in the group stages, it was confirmed that we were going through to the quarter finals.

Leah walks over to me after the match too and high fives me.

"Well done, captain." She hugs me and kisses my head.

Next stop: Northern Ireland