~ thirty eight ~

Olivia's pov

It was going to be a hard match today. Everyone knew that.

Spain were a good team, but I still had high hopes.

We had travelled back to Brighton to play this match yesterday and I did the pre match press conference. This is automatically gonna be a hard match as Sarina had come down positive with Covid and therefore couldn't come. Instead, our assistant manager was taking over.

Whilst in the changing rooms we discussed the formation today, and explained tactics and strategies with us.

We were playing 4,1,3,2. Lucy, Leah, Millie and Rach at the back, Kiera, Fran, Georgia and Hempo in midfield, me and Ellen playing up front and Mary in goal.

————————

We walked out of the tunnel and sang the national anthem.

I exchanged pennants with the Spanish captain and we shook hands.

Within six minutes, we get our first chance. Georgia passes to me, but I'm caught offside.

The thing I've noticed with Spain, is how aggressive they are.

We've had so many free kicks due to them being aggressive, and because of this, we were playing aggressive back to them.

Again, our next big chance was in the 37', but Ellen was offside.

The first half finishes with no goals to both teams.

After a very lengthy talk from our assistant manager, we head back out to the pitch.

Everybody still had their heads held high.

We were going to win this, I'll make sure of it.

Some of our confidence got knocked out of us in the 54', when Spain scored.

Esther Gonzales turned quickly and shot in the bottom left corner.

She ran and celebrated, tapping the Spanish badge on her shirt.

Four minutes later, Chloe came on, replacing Hempo, and less came on, replacing Ellen.

Ellen came and high fived me before she walked off.

"We can still win this game, kid." She whispers in my ear as she hugs me. "Remember what I've always told you. If it feels wrong, then shoot."

Ellen had always told me, since I started at Man City, if I was playing and it felt wrong to shoot, shoot anyways.

Lucy had a shot in the 62' but it goes wide. It was a good header though.

Ella then comes on for Fran.

"They're weak when you're close to the goal. If you have a chance try get as close as you can." I tell Ella as she comes on

And she does just that.

In the 83', Hempo crosses it into the box. Lessi headers it to Ella, who's right up close to the goal, and kicks it in.

"You were right, captain." Ella says after we celebrate

The final whistle blew but we were still 1-1 and now had to play thirty more minutes.

Everyone was so competitive. They were so desperate to win this and I was gonna try my absolute hardest, as their teammate, captain and friend, to try do that for them.

Extra time commences and In the first five minutes, I had been passed the ball by Kiera.

I ran until I got to about three yards before the penalty box and Ellen's words kept repeating in my head.

I had two defenders right in front of me, I couldn't go any further.

It felt wrong to shoot, so I shot.

Time slowed down in that moment. Until I watched the ball hit the back of the net in the top left corner.

I ran to the corner by all the England fans, hitting the England badge, just like the Spanish players had done.

I turn around, my arms open as I knew less was running towards me.

She jumps onto me and buries her head in my neck.

After a good few minutes of celebrating, we didn't want to get our hopes too high.

Eventually, the final whistle of extra time blew.

All our subs came on to the pitch, and came straight to me and hugged me.

"You shot when it felt wrong and looked what happened. Kid, you made us win!"

"We all made us win. Without Ella's goal, we wouldn't have won, without your words, we wouldn't have won. We win as a team, and we lose as team. Luckily, we won today, and we won because we played like a team." I tell Ellen

"You said that like a true captain, kiddo. Well done."

"Couldn't have done it without you, el. Thank you." I hug her

"Baby! That goal was incredible!" Less comes and hugs me from behind.

"Thank you, my love." I turn to the side and kiss her head.

"The semi finals next." She tells me and kisses my cheek

"I know."

We start making our way around the pitch, doing our lap, signing and taking pictures with fans.

Just then I notice a tv camera coming towards us.

I continue walking and I turn to face it.

"The English are never done."