~ twenty ~

Olivia's pov

We were playing Spain today, but I wasn't starting and neither was less.

The lineups that sarina had confirmed was a bit different to the last match.

Beth, Ellen and Nikita were playing up front, G, Jill and Jordan were playing midfield and Rach, Alex, Jess and Lucy were playing in defence.

Surprisingly, Mary wasn't in goal, instead, Hannah was.

Because I wasn't starting and neither was Leah, Ellen was given the role as captain.

————————

The first half kicks off and we all figure it's a one sided match.

Spain have most of the possession and they manage to get the ball to their attacking sides multiple times.

We still have chances though, three main ones being offside though.

After many chances from both sides, the half time whistle goes and the scoreline is still 0-0.

At half time, two changes were made:

Lauren hemp on for Nikita parris
Olivia James on for Ellen white

Me and Hempo run onto the pitch as Keets and Ellen run off. Before we do, I run back to less and she kisses me and I run back just as Ellen walks off.

Ellen hugs me slightly and gives me the captains armband.

"You've got this, cap." Ellen ruffles the top of my hair but she doesn't do much damage to it as it in a plait that less did for me.

The second half kicks off and before I knew it, I take a shot but it hits the post.

Three minutes into the second half, Beth gets a yellow card because she did a dodgy foul.

I wasn't even going to try fight it because it clearly was.

From the 50' to the 60' each team had two good shots that were either saved or blocked.

In the 62', two changes were made:

Leah Williamson on for Jill Scott
Kiera Walsh on for Jordan nobbs

Four minutes later, Georgia is also given a yellow card due to a bad tackle.

Within a minute, I was tackled by Carmines who pushes me but she also falls, making her land directly on my leg.

I immediately grab my shin and groan in pain.

Leah ran over and helped me get up.

The free kick is taken and nothing major happens for another 10 minutes.

The ball just went back and forth between our possession and Spain's possession.

In the 80', Ella gets subbed on for G.

I high five Ella as Alex gets ready to take the free kick.

Finally, after the final ten minutes and five minutes extra time, the final whistle goes.

I go and shake players hands from both the Spanish team and my team.

————————

At this moment in time, Canada are in the lead with four points whilst us and Spain were tied second with two points and Germany were fourth with only one point.

There was still one match to turn that all around.