~ one hundred and twenty four ~

Olivia's pov

Me and less walk into the changing rooms at Hampden Park, hand in hand.

We both had our headphones on and so we couldn't really speak to each other but we still held each other's hands.

When we enter, I stop dead in my tracks.

In my cubby was my kit, my boots, and the armband and pennant.

Sarina hasn't announced the lineup yet but me having the armband and pennant meant that I was definitely starting in the starting 11.

I walk towards my cubby, and I feel less' hand on my shoulders rubbing them.

I turn around and see a big smile on her face. She leans toward and kisses my cheek, telling me that she's proud.

————————

After warming up and going through strategies, I make a captains speech and we make our way to the tunnel.

Like always, lessi helped me put on the armband and I grab the pennant.

We walk out onto the pitch and line up to sing the national anthem.

The game commences and we have most of the possession of the ball.

It was fair to say that it was going to be a one sided match.

In the 12', meado takes a corner and it lands on Alex's head and goes into the goal.

After several more failed shots, we finally manage to score another to make it 2-0.

Beth had crossed it into the box, and apparently it touched a Scottish players hand.

But the deflection is passed out to the outside of the box and landed perfectly at my feet.

I then kept control of it and shot. It hit a Scottish player on the way into the goal but it still went in.

I quickly run and pick up the ball before running off to restart the game.

I couldn't celebrate. We had to score more for us to stay in the nations league and to go through to the olympics.

The game quickly restarts and before long, we've gained possession and the balls travelling up the pitch.

Niamh gets a hold of it on the left wing and passes to me.

I'm still outside of the box, just left of it, so I run more central and shoot.

It lands in the left side of the goal.

I smile to myself before running back to restart.

I look over to less and blow her a kiss as I run back.

I also blow two kisses up to the family and friends box.

Maisie and Lottie were being looked after by one of the staff members.

We knew her really well and she used to be a staff member at a nursery so we trusted her with the girls.

Before long, the scoreline was 4-0.

I had crossed it into the box to Beth and she shoots and it lands in the goal.

I quickly go and hug her. It was her first goal for England in 15 months and I knew exactly what she was feeling so there was no way I wasn't going to hug her.

At half time, we find out that the Netherlands were winning 1-0.

This meant that we were currently top of the table.

We were equal on points and goals, however, we won against them in our last match so we were in the lead.

Half time went by and now we were making our way back onto the pitch.

Just four minutes into the second half, Fran scores to make it 5-0.

In the 65', two changes were made. Ella came on for Fran and Lessi came on for Beth.

At 90', it was announced that there would be 4 minutes extra time.

In the 93', we gain possession in midfield and take the ball up the pitch.

Less keeps control of the ball on the left wing before passing to Ella who's on the left side of the box.

She then crosses it into the box and although it looks like it's going out, I sprint towards it and jump forward, diving and praying that my head connected with the ball.

I watch the ball soar into the right side of the goal.

I kneel down on the floor, knowing that the goal that I just scored could possibly be the goal that would take us through to the Olympics.

When less and Ella came on in the 65', they told everyone that the Netherlands were winning 2-0 so we were still at the top.

But anything could have happened in the half an hour since then.

I run back smiling as less stops to hug me.

I look over to Sarina and she's got three fingers up. The Netherlands had scored another one.

It was fine though, we were still at the top.

Within just seconds of kick off, the final whistle blew.

"The Netherlands are winning 3-0. As long as they don't score another, we're through." I explain as we all gather round

"Everyone played fantastic tonight. It was such a big win, however, we've just received news that the Netherlands have scored again in the 95'." Sarina says and I crouch down, putting my face in my hands.

We were so close. So so close. Less puts a hand on my back, rubbing it comfortingly.

Sarina was stood next to me too and she out a hand on my back.

Once the team talk ends, I sit on the floor and bury my face in my knees and hands.

"Come on, baby. You did so well." Less says and sits down next me

"We were so close, lessi." I say and rest my head on her shoulder.

"I know we were, livvy. And just think, without you we definitely wouldn't have stood a chance. Come on, our girls are over there. You played so well, my love. So so well." Less whispers in my ear and presses light kisses to my temple. She stands up and grabs both my hands and helps me get up.

We walk over to the tunnel, clapping to the fans as we do.

Once we get into the changing rooms, it was announced that I had gotten player of the match and was given a trophy.

The coach ride home was quiet.

Everyone was either listen to music on their headphones or staring out the window.

It was a thrilling night for us, but it didn't end the way we wanted it to. But that's football.