Chapter 228

**YOUR POV**
We walked for another few minutes until I felt completely exhausted and out of breath. „H, can we go back? Please?"

„Yes, sure, my love." He rubbed my back soothingly. „Can you do it?"

„Yeah, just...just have to catch my breath." I breathed.

„Okay, take your time." He kissed my lips as we stopped for a minute.

Harry waited patiently until I was ready and sweetly held me by my waist as we made our way back.

„I really enjoyed that, Haz. Thanks for coming with me." I told him when we got back home and I changed into my pajamas.

„I'm glad you did, sweetie. I could tell you were happy being out." He smiled as he took his shirt off and changed into some sweatpants before he laid down in bed stomach first.

„Tired?" I asked him when I got in next to him.

„Yeah kind of. I didn't get much sleep last night."

„Oh I'm sorry. I wouldn't have asked you to go out if I knew."

„No it's okay, love. I'm just glad you're happy." He leaned in to kiss me again and I cuddled into his arms.

„Night, Haz. Love you." I whispered as he securely wrapped his arms around me.

„Love you too. Good night, baby."

*

The next morning I woke up feeling incredibly nauseous, making me jump out of bed to the toilet where I threw up everything that was left in my stomach. Tears brimmed in my eyes, hoping there wasn't blood like last time.

„Hey, hey, are you okay?" I heard Harry's sleepy voice behind me before he held back my hair and rubbed my back.

„Ye- yeah, I'm okay." I let myself fall back, sitting against the wall, trying to catch my breath as Harry moved his hand to place it on my knee and eyed me worriedly. „Just please tell me there's no blood."

He took a quick glance before he flushed the toilet. „No blood. Have you felt nauseous all night?"

„No, it all came over me when I woke up." I sighed.

„Maybe yesterday has been a little much after all, huh?" He cupped my cheek.

„Probably, yeah." I sighed again. „I hate this. The one time I was feeling like myself for a few minutes, I immediately get reminded that I'm sick."

„I'm sorry, darling. I know it's hard for you." He tucked my hair behind my ear. „Are you feeling better now though?"

„I am, yeah. Ughh, I need to brush my teeth." I attempted to stand up as Harry helped me up on my feet. He handed me a glass of water first before I went to brush my teeth and face so I wouldn't feel as shitty.

As I went back to our bedroom, I didn't wanna go back to sleep, so I decided to just go make some tea downstairs.

„Are you really feeling better, love?" Harry asked me again while closing the closet door after he grabbed some new clothes.

„Yeah I do. I was just going downstairs to make some tea. Do you want some too?"

„That'd be nice thanks. I'll go take a shower first though. By the way, my mum and Gemma are out, running some errands." He told me before he disappeared in the bathroom and I made my way downstairs. Walking through the house, I passed the mirror hanging on the wall in the hallway and stopped as a glance at myself quite literally shocked me.
I looked pathetic, my skin chalky and my body so skinny that it made my bones so much more prominent which reminded me once again that I wasn't okay. I was sick and that was a fact.

I eventually shrugged it off and went my way into the kitchen, boiling up some water and picking out a flavor Harry liked. I went to grab two mugs out of the cabinet when I noticed some papers lying around on the kitchen table. I went to put them away as I eyed a plain brown envelope that was among the papers with a red Do Not Bend instruction on it.

I frowned and turned it around to see it was already opened, so I went on and slid the contents out. There was a letter in the front what I ignored for now and flicked to the next pages which were unmistakably X-Rays.

„Harry Styles." I read out loud the name in one of the corners and was confused. I held it up into the sun and it was obviously Harry's spine, the fusion clearly visible.

Why would he need his old X-Rays? I checked the date what made me even more confused. It was very recent, just from two weeks ago. I went back to see the letter again, many big words I didn't understand were written on it.

„Diagnosis: Not confirmed as of now. Possible failed spinal fusion." I read out loud. „What?!" I let out, not even knowing what to think and I didn't like what I read at all. It sounded serious.

Just then, Harry made his way down the stairs and entered the kitchen, wearing just a pair of sweatpants and his hair still wet.

He grabbed the sugar from one of the cabinets and put some in his tea.

„What's with the X-Rays?" I asked him and he seemed to freeze for a short moment before he turned around to face me, leaning against the kitchen aisle.

He looked away. „Just a check up."

„Possible failed spinal fusion? Harry what's wrong with your spine? This sounds serious."

Harry sighed deeply. „Alright...I fell on my back recently. I thought I was fine, but then some days passed and I felt like something was wrong so I went to let it get checked out."

„My god, Haz...What did they say?"

He approached me, taking one of the X-Rays out of my hands. „They said it was okay, just extremely sensitive to sudden impacts like this fall. See? The fusion is okay." He pointed to the metal implants on the X-Rays.

„But why does it say possible failed spinal fusion?"

„Because they were worried that some screws came loose or broke off since that often happens." He explained.

„So you're okay?"

„I'm okay. Just some pain from the fall, but alright otherwise." He assured me.

„I'm glad." I breathed and wrapped my arms around his body. „Thought you needed another surgery."

„No, no, don't worry. I'm fine. Just have to see my osteopath some time and avoid some heavy lifting. I didn't tell you because I didn't wanna worry you with it."

„I understand." I said and he held me tight to his warm and naked body. „You have to take care of yourself, Harry."

„I know and I am, it was just a little accident." He nodded. „It's just that...my back. I hate that it's always so sensitive to things." He said and I could tell it was bothering him a lot.

„I'm sorry your back makes you trouble. I know you're in pain a lot because of it." I gently brushed my hands over his warm back. „Maybe you could try something new that might help, some other therapy maybe?"

He shook his head as he let go of me. „I tried so many things already. I doubt that there's something that might help. I guess I just have to live with it. It was one of the risks of the surgery anyways." He shrugged his shoulders.

„Don't say that, Haz. I'm sure there's something."

He shrugged it off. „Don't worry about it. It's fine really."

„Haz..." I tilted my head, looking up at him and feeling sorry he felt so hopeless about it.

„It's fine, I'm fine, really. Now, are you hungry? I can make you some breakfast." He asked me when he let go of me, clearly not wanting to talk about it further.

„Not really hungry, but thank you." I told him before I put the X-Rays back into the envelope and went to get my cup of tea. I sat down at the kitchen table and watched Harry as he made some scrambled eggs.
Eventually, he rounded the corner of the kitchen with two plates and set one down in front of me.

„Eat as much as you like. You can't have an empty stomach, baby. You need a bit of energy." He kissed the top of my head and sat down on the opposite of me.

„Thank you, Haz." I smiled at his thoughtfulness.