Chapter 256

16 weeks
October 2018
**HARRYS POV**
Everything happened so fast. When the paramedics stormed in, I could barely tell them that Y/n was pregnant when they pushed me out of the way, making me wait in the living room all by myself. I sat on the couch, burying my face in my hands, crying and finally letting the emotions out that I couldn't in front of Y/n.
I didn't know what was happening or what they were doing, all I knew was that I was so scared. Y/n lost a lot of blood, what if I lost her? What if I lost them both?

„Mister Styles?" I got ripped out of my thoughts as one of the paramedics, a woman crouched down in front of me. „We have to leave now and bring your wife to the hospital."

„What- what's wrong with her? What's happening?" I asked, standing up immediately, my hands shaking.

„We don't know that yet, they're gonna examine her properly at the hospital. She's lost quite a bit of blood though, that's why she passed out." She explained to me. „You can ride along in the ambulance. I don't think you should drive like this."

„I- yes...okay." I quickly grabbed the most important things I needed, my keys, my phone and wallet before I left the house, entering the back of the ambulance with Y/n lying on the stretcher, hooked up on oxygen.

The sight shattered my heart. I went to sit next to her as close as I could while the woman from earlier sat on the other side, checking the monitors and everything as the ambulance drove off.
Tears streamed down my face, thinking of the worst. She wasn't feeling well the whole day. I should've been there, I should've taken her to the doctor. I thought it would pass and she'd be okay...

Shortly before we got to the hospital, Y/n opened her eyes again, making me feel a bit of relief already.

„Harry? What's- what- I don-."

„Hey shhh, I'm here." I placed my hand in hers. „We're going to the hospital and they're gonna take care of you. I'm here, I'm right here beside you." I kissed her forehead.

„Our baby..." She looked up at me with teary eyes, her voice trembling and laced with concern.

„They're gonna take care if you and our girl when we're there." I assured her again, not knowing what else to say.

„Misses Styles, I need you to try and calm down. Your heart rate is a little too high for my liking." The paramedic said.

„Look at me, Y/n. Just look at me and focus on me. Everything will be alright." I kissed her again.

Even though everything happened so fast, it still felt like it happened all in slow motion.
We got to the hospital and they immediately brought her up to the maternity section of the hospital. I was glad I could stay with her throughout all of it and mever had to leave her side.
Since she lost a lot of blood, she got a blood transfusion while we waited for her gynecologist, doctor Brooke to check on our baby girl.

We didn't have to wait long when she finally came in, moving quick, getting the ultrasound machine ready and spreading the gel on Y/n's stomach.

I held her hand tightly and ran my other one through her hair.

„Are you still in pain, Y/n?" Doctor Brooke asked her, looking at the monitor in front of her.

„Yeah, not as much anymore though."

„Okay." She said, her eyes never leaving the monitor. It was quiet for a while. She didn't say anything else, just kept staring at the monitor.

„Is she okay?" I asked eventually. „Is our baby okay?" My heart was racing.

Doctor Brooke looked away from the monitor, facing us, her face serious and she paused a second before she started to speak. „Y/n, Harry...I'm so sorry, but your baby's heart has stopped beating. You lost your baby...I'm so sorry."

My shattered heart sank immediately.
I didn't think words could have such an impact on me, I never did until she said this to us. Right then and there, a piece of me died. I didn't believe it, I didn't wanna believe it. This couldn't be happening.
I looked at Y/n, trying to breathe and not break down in tears. She seemed like she was in shock.
Tears were streaming down her cheeks, but she didn't realize it yet. She couldn't.

„No...no, that's not possible." Y/n shook her head. „Just...just look again. You'll...you'll find her heartbeat. This is not- no...that's not true."

„Y/n, I'm very sorry, but I'm sure. There's no heartbeat." Doctor Brooke said again what felt like a sharp knife stabbing my heart. „Unfortunately, even at 16 weeks of pregnancy it's possible to have a miscarriage and lose the baby. This has nothing to do with you, it's not your fault. I'm afraid it sadly just happens sometimes." She explained. „Your sharp cramps, the bleeding...you had a miscarriage. I'm so sorry." She wiped the gel away from Y/n's stomach.

I tried to process what she said, I really tried, but I didn't wanna understand. Our baby was gone. She left us. We were gonna be parents and now everything changed so quickly.

„I'm gonna give you a minute before we discuss what's gonna happen now." The doctor said and left the room.

Trying to push my feelings aside for now, I turned my attention to Y/n who obviously still didn't quite realize.

„Y/n, love?" I cupped her cheek, making her look at me as I stood over her. As soon as her eyes met mine, she broke down in tears, pained sobs and screams leaving her mouth. I instantly pulled her into my arms, holding her tightly to my chest, letting her let everything out.

„My baby!" She sobbed, screaming and burying her face into my chest. „I want my baby, Harry!"

„I know...me too, love...me too. Shhhh...shhhh, I'm here. I'm right here." I said, tears silently streaming down my face, desperately trying to keep my voice from cracking and make me break down myself as I kissed her head afterwards.

How would I ever be able to take this pain? To overcome the loss of our baby? Our little miracle baby girl... She was gone and we didn't even get to meet her...