The Arranged Marriage

Natasha came home from college one afternoon, and she noticed that there were guests sitting with her grandmother.   She quickly greeted them and went to her room to get fresh and change.  After she had finished, she went into the kitchen to grab herself a cup of tea, and she heard her grandmother call her.

"Natasha, this is Amba ji and her Dhawal.  And that is Ambaji's older son, Amrish, and his wife, Hetal."

"Namaste," said Natasha, as she went down to get Amba's blessings.  She quickly folded her hands and said, "Namaste."  

She sat down on the empty sofa, hoping they would forget she was there.   When Amba had asked her about her studies.  She responded that she was in her last year.

Amrish had asked her what she was studying, and she replied to Business.

Natasha was confused at the questions, and she was looking at her grandmother in confusion.  When her grandmother let her know what was going on.

"Natasha, Ambaji, and her family have brought a rishta for you.  They would like you to be their youngest daughter in law."  said her grandmother.

"Youngest daughter in law?" Natasha was confused.  Her grandmother never spoke about getting her married.

"We would like you to be our Dhawal's wife," said Amba

Natasha looked at Dhawal in surprise.  Then, towards her grandmother.  "Natasha, why don't you take Dhawal to the balcony.  Talk to each other."  said her grandmother.

 Natasha led Dhawal upstairs to the balcony.   She walked up to the edge of the balcony and looked out the view, and she waited for Dhawal to say anything.  She turned back and looked at Dhawal, who was standing near the sofa set.    

"Have a seat."  said Natasha.

Dhawal sat down as Natasha sat across him.

Natasha was thinking this was very ackward.   "I'm sorry, this is a shock.  I didn't know anything about you coming over." 

"No.  We are sorry.  My mother saw you at Arohi's function last week.  She has been talking about you since then.   She wanted to meet you and your family."

"I am sorry.  I haven't even thought of marriage.   As I have said, I am in my last year of college.  I was planning to pursue my MBA."  said Natasha

."So now the topic has arised, what do you think of marriage?"   asked Dhawal

"I have nothing against marriage.  I just want to get married to a family who will accept me for who I am.   I trust my family and their choice.   I just want to finish my schooling.   I want my family to be proud of me, " said Natasha

"That's commendable.  How about we get to know each other, and then we can decide whether to go ahead or not."  said Dhawal

"Sure,"  said Natasha

"Well, you met my mother.  I have 3 older brothers.  Amrish, Bhavin, and Chirag.  I have 3 Bhabi's.  Hetal, Pranali, and Dolly.   I have one cute little nephew.  Gautam, who we call Golu.   He's 4, and he's the life our home."

"You didn't bring him today?" asked Natasha

"Actually, he is spending the afternoon with his maternal family."

"Oh.  Ok.   Well, you met my grandmother.  I also have 3 brothers.   One older Yash and two younger,  Sheesh and Mithu.   Actually, Yash is my Bade Papa's son, and Mithu is my Shiva Chachu's son.   We lost our parents 15 years ago, along with our youngest Chachu and his wife.  We have lived with our grandmother since then, and she's taken care of us since then.  She never let us feel that we were orphans.  Yash married not too long ago.  My Bhabi Isha is the sweetest, " said Natasha, smiling.