chapter 1

“Hanley, pass us a can!” Jack laughed, as I sat on the floor next to the plastic bag filled with junk food. I reached into the bag and pulled out a can of Coca-Cola, and chucked it at him. “Next time, you get it yourself!”

 Jack Barakat had been my best friend for years, and his parents were my parents’ best friends too. In fact, Jack and I hung around most of the time together.

 Often, my mum would joke about us getting together, but I’d look at her in disgust. Not that Jack was bad looking or mean, because he was actually pretty good looking and the nicest guy I knew. No, it was because after being this close to him for all these years, I could never picture myself with him as a couple.

My daydreaming was suddenly interrupted as Jack flicked the TV on, and suddenly Family Guy came on. I looked around my room to see Jack had made himself comfy by re-arranging my bed sheets and was sat in a pile of pillows and covers on the floor, in front of the TV, which was blaring Peter Griffin’s voice throughout the house.

“Hanley, can you turn the TV down please?” My mum called up the stairs. “Kay!” I reached for the remote off Jack, but he wouldn’t let me have it. “Jack, she’ll kick you out if I don’t turn it down!” I stood up now, struggling for the remote. “No, I like it this loud!” He said, whilst sticking his tongue out at me.

Eventually, I managed to turn it down, and Jack could be heard laughing at everything Stewie said. Sunday afternoons were often like this, watching Family Guy DVDs that we’d seen before.

After the episode finished, my mum called up again: “Hanley, Jack’s mum called, she said it’s time for Jack to go home!” As I glanced at the clock on my phone, I saw it was nearly 8pm, and I knew that if he stayed any longer, his mum wouldn’t be happy.

“Bye Jack!” I said, and gave him a friendly hug as he passed through the front door. “Aren’t you gonna walk with me like usual, I forgot my headphones again” He was looking at me, and my mum nodded as she was washing up.

“Kay, let me grab my hoodie and I’ll follow,” I said, grabbing my purple jacket. As I shut the front door, we began to walk.

Jack was, and always had been, a very lively character. He was hilarious, and had never once failed to cheer me up when I was in a bad mood. On our short journey to his house, he began to re-enact a comedian, but it was all the funnier with Jack.

I began to turn around when we got to his house, and as we said our goodbyes, I felt so lucky my best friend was Jack.