chapter 25

Chapter 25:

(A week later)

I’d been off school all week, feeling totally ill. I guessed it was Jack’s visit that had made me feel the way I did. I was downstairs rummaging in the kitchen cupboard for more painkillers, and there was a knock on the door.

I shuffled over to see Ella stood there smiling. “Hey!” She said, giving me a hug. “Hey..” I muttered. “I was meant to give this to you like yesterday, but Mr Morgan wants this biology homework done by Friday, if you’re in, aha! Anyway, I have to go, Jack is waiting!”

She shoved the papers in my hands and hugged me goodbye, and I waved as she left the house. I looked down at the pieces of paper and noticed the title; Pregnancy.

I sat at my desk and started looking through it, seeing if I knew any. My best science subject was biology, so this wouldn’t take long. I looked at the first question, and found it very confusing.

Question 1: Many women first start to notice pregnancy because they feel both sick and tired. Why is this?

I thought long and hard about this, and realised that I had both of these symptoms. It’d been two weeks since, well, me and Alex’s encounter. I started to panic. I couldn’t be pregnant could I?

After about half and hour of googling symptoms, I pulled on some clothes and ran to the nearest shop. I pulled up my hood, and slowly made my way to the counter with a home pregnancy kit. It felt so embarrassing paying for it, with everyone in the shop staring at me.

It was a short walk home, and I felt the need to feel ashamed. I ran into the house and sneaked into the bathroom before mum noticed. It was early, so she wasn’t awake, but she could get up at any minute.

After testing, I couldn’t sit down while I waited for the results; I was far too nervous. I was walking around waiting for either a positive or a negative sign on the screen.

While waiting, I thought about what I’d do if it turned out positive. I’d have to tell Alex, and then what? Abortion? No, I couldn’t. Keep it? But my mum would go crazy… Fucking hell, I was probably panicking over nothing.

I sat on my bed, and I heard a small beep telling me that the test knew what was going to happen next. I took a deep breath, and moved my thumb to see the tiny screen. Fuck. I was pregnant.

I was pregnant with Alex’s baby. Not Zack’s, Alex’s. This baby would be a baby Gaskarth. I couldn’t get over the fact I’d cheated on Zack with Alex, and now it was coming back to haunt me. I started to feel really guilty.

Believing that we even had sex was the hard part, and now I had to cope with having his baby too? Fucking hell. I could only blame this on myself for getting carried away with Alex, and karma for the pregnancy.

I hugged my pillow, crying. What the fuck was I supposed to do? I’ll ring Alex, I thought. I picked up my phone and quickly dialled the number, hoping that he was awake.

He picked up after two or three rings, and I could feel my heart beating like crazy. “Hanley! Sup? Wanna meet today?” He sounded cheerful, like he’d forgotten any of this had happened. “Alex, meet me outside your house, something’s wrong….” I whispered, only loud enough for Alex to hear.

“Oh right, okay… Is it about Zack?” He replied. I did love him, but my, he was stupid. “Alex, stop joking around. Meet me there in like, fifteen minutes.” I responded with a hint of anger in my voice, and he knew I wasn’t messing around.

“Okay… see you then Hanley.” He said, hanging up. I threw my phone on the end of my bed, and face-planted my pillow. I just hope Alex wasn’t the kind to go against his words and dump me.

I hoped he wasn’t one of those people you read about in magazines, where they’d get you pregnant and then dump you to handle the situation alone. Pfft, Alex wouldn’t do that! He said he loved me, and even a love drunk teen like me wouldn’t sleep with someone who didn’t love them.

I grabbed my jacket, and headed out the door, feeling confident yet scared at the same time. What the fuck was I going to do?