chapter 33

Chapter 33:

I was sat with Ella, and she had her head in her hands. She’d not even bothered to look at me since we’d left the hospital room, and I think she was in deep thoughts. Shouting from Hanley’s room shortly interrupted those thoughts, and she stood up.

“What the fuck is going on in there?” She looked at me, eyeliner-stained eyes glimmering in the light. “Not sure, but lets wait here.” I muttered, heartbeat racing. It could tell what it was already; Alex had found out that Hanley had or was going to take a paternity test. I prayed that he didn’t know that I was the possible father.

“I’m going to get a glass of water and sit outside for ten minutes; I can’t take all this depression and uncertainty. You want anything?” She weakly smiled at me, and I shook my head. She walked out the door, and I leaned back against the back of the chair, trying to listen to the loud mumbles that were in the next room.

Suddenly, I heard a door slam and Alex walked out with his fists clenched, and his face was damp with tears. “Alex?” I asked, as he slumped down in the chair next to me, staring at the floor. “What’s up?” “Hanley’s asked for a fucking paternity test. What am I going to do Jack? What if I’m not the father?” He sighed, sounding as hurt as he did when I lied about Hanley’s feelings.

“Well, it depends. Alex, lets say it’s not yours, but the father doesn’t want the kid, and leaves Hanley on her own. What would you do then?” I was forgetting that this was possibly my baby, not a complete stranger’s, but I was interested in Alex’s response. Not that if it was mine, that would ever happen. “I don’t know. I’d like to say I’d look after it like it was mine, but I don’t think I could bear to look at it.” He sighed, a tear rolling down his cheek.

“That’s a bit harsh.” I tried to laugh, but he cut me off. “It’s harsh of her to make me think I was the only father the baby had.” He mumbled, his tone ice cold. “Whoa, Alex. Calm down.” “No! I won’t calm down! Jack, you have no idea! You’re such a fucking douche.” He shouted, and he ran his hands through his hair.

“Again, Alex, calm the fuck down.” “No! Jack, you have no idea what it’s like! I’ve been thinking all along what a great dad I was planning to be! I was planning on moving out with Hanley, getting a job, taking the baby to the park and stuff, like a normal family! But no, that might be someone else now! You have it easy with Ella, I swear.” He hissed, practically pulling out his hair.

“Alex, you have no idea what it’s like being Zack’s mate through all this.” I nearly told him that I was the opposed father, but I bit my tongue before it could slip out. “Oh what? He hates you because you’re friends with Hanley? Oh big deal! I have to go home and tell my parents this, how do you think they’re going to rea-“ “I might be the baby’s father, okay?” I finally snapped, and Alex looked at me, his eyes filled with confusion.

“What?” He said, sounding calm. “I… might be the baby’s dad.” I sighed. Fucking hell. It was over. “JACK, YOU FUCKING…” He tried to grab me, but I jumped off the seat. He continued to chase me, screaming at me at the top of his voice. “I’M GONNA FUCKING KILL YOU!” He chased me halfway down the corridor before three doctors managed to pin him against a wall, and yet he still struggled.

I felt slightly dizzy from all the adrenaline that had rushed through me, when a nurse approached me. “You may want to get away from him while you can. He seems pretty mad.” She hushed, pointing me to the exit. I scurried past, and I could hear the doctors trying to calm Alex. He was furious, but he was crying. He looked an emotional wreck, but I hurried past all the same.

I went to sit back in my seat, when I realised that I needed to sort this out with Hanley. I stood up again, and knocked on the door.

----------Hanley’s point of view----------

I’d finally stopped crying, and I heard a knock at the door. “Come in?” I shouted, and I aw Jack’s figure in the doorway. “Jack? What’s happened, I heard Alex screaming!” I asked, feeling sick. “Yeah, he kinda found out I was the other father.” He sighed, sitting on the chair next to my bed.

“Oh… is he okay?” “Yeah, he’s with some doctors. He got so mad, he chased me around the hospital.” I heard him swallow, and his eyes met mine. “What are we going to do Jack?” I heard him fiddling with the bottom of his shirt, looking nervous. “Well, what did the test say?” He asked, his eyes in mine again. 

“I don’t know anything, Jack! I don’t even know if it’s alive! I don’t know who the father is, the due date, even if it’s alive or not! I’m not cut out for this.” I felt tears in my eyes, and I felt Jack grab my hand again. 

“It’s going to be okay. If it’s Alex’s, you go back to him. If it happens to be mine…” He paused, thinking. “Jack, You’ve got too much to loose if it does happen to be yours. I can handle it alone, you can be with Ella and Zack.” I sighed, because I knew that he didn’t know what to do at all.

“No way. Hanley, look at yourself now, If you were on your own, you’d have been at home, in pain still. I wouldn’t have called an ambulance. I’m not letting that happen to you, or the baby. I’ll figure something out, I promise.” I’d never heard him so calm, and so serious. He’d normally joke around, but I knew that he meant those words. 

I felt myself collapse back onto my pillow, and I looked at the ceiling. Did I really want this? I wasn’t so sure anymore. But what could I do? It was too late now, the damage was done.

-------------Ella’s point of view---------------

I walked over to where Jack was supposed to be sat, but instead I saw Alex, sat with knees up to his face, hiding it. “Alex?” I asked, and he looked at me almost instantly. He smirked to himself, and looked at me. “What?” This was all very suspicious, did he know something?

“Ella, what do you think of your boyfriend?” “Why?” This was beyond suspicious. “Just tell me, do you love him?” He was still smirking. “I… yes. Why?” I was so puzzled. “Because he cheated on you. With Hanley. I might not be the baby’s father after all.” 

I felt sick all over again. Surely this was a lie. “What?” My voice was thick, with both with tension and disbelief. “He might be Hanley’s baby’s father.” He repeated, and I could tell he wasn’t lying by the look on his face. 

Just the thought of him with her made me gag. I seriously thought I was about to throw up all over Alex, but I kept my mouth shut as tears began to fall. I let out a small squeal, and the tars didn’t stop. “Ella, I’m sorry I had to tell you.” He put his hand on my shoulder, and he was obviously as hurt as I was by this.

It was then that Jack came out of the room, and both Alex and me stood up at the same time, but I got there before Alex. “Jack. What the FUCK have you got to say for yourself?” I screamed at him. 

I heard him swallow, and he opened his mouth to speak, but Alex’s fist got him in the cheek before words could appear. “Alex!” I yelled at him, but he just shrugged. “I had to, I’m sorry Ella.” I could hear him choking back tears, and he sat on the chair with his hood up.

“I.. “ That was the only think Jack could say. “I can’t fucking believe you! I don’t want to ever see you again!” I felt my hand slap his face out of impulse, and I ran into the room Hanley was in. I saw her there, frozen, looking at me.

------------Hanley’s point of view--------------

I stopped in my tracks as Ella stood at the end of my bed. She walked closer and closer, and leaned in, about a centimetre away from my face. “I know what you did with Jack. And all I can say about it is, I hope your baby is fucking dead. You don’t deserve to be a mother. You make me sick, and I don’t want to see you again, either.” She hissed, and I felt myself break down again.