chapter 41

Chapter 41:

“Oh shit...” I heard Alex whisper to himself. “Ho- how long have you known about it!?” He muttered, seemingly worried. “I only found out this morning. Don’t worry; I’m not going to shout or whatever. I just wanted you to explain everything to me.” I leant back in my chair, trying to seem calm with him. The calmer he was, the more he’d probably tell me.

“Well… I liked Hanley. A lot. I always have to be fair.” He smiled when he mentioned her name, staring at the ceiling. He shook his head and carried on ‘explaining’. “And, well, after some ordeal she’d gone through, she rang me, and we met up. I think she was arguing with Zack, Jack and Ella all at once at that time.”

“Oh yeah, Zack mentioned that…” I interrupted, and sudden realisation hit me. That must have been when Hanley nearly cheated on Zack with Jack. “Anyway, eventually, I ended up sleeping with Hanley… I didn’t deliberately do it, it’s just, we kissed and well.” He smiled to himself once again. “I didn’t mean to get her pregnant with Max, but fucking hell, I’m glad I did.” He grinned, looking down at his phone.

“Look, there’s Max and Hanley!” He smiled at me, showing me a picture on his phone of a girl and a small child. “Alex, I just wanted you to know, that its 5 years later, and Zack is still really upset.” I sighed, realising that he was happy with her.

Alex was looking at me like I was being sarcastic. “No, seriously Alex. Imagine if I got Hanley pregnant?” He sat there, glaring at me like I was a threat. “I haven’t, but think about how you’d feel.”

“I suppose you’re right. I want to apologise, but I don’t know what to say! Plus, I can’t go home to Hanley like this. Not whilst I’m trying to figure out what it is I’m going to say.” He said, staring at the floor. “You can stay here as long as you want, Alex.” I smiled, happy that he was prepared to try and get Zack to forgive him.

-------Hanley’s point of view----------

“What!? Ugh, fine. Tell me next time when you disappear to know where and leave me on my own!” I shouted, and Max looked at me, looking like tears were in his eyes. I sighed, and sat on the sofa, patting my knee so Max could sit on it.

“I love you too. Hold on, Max wants to talk to you.” I smiled, handing him the phone. “Daddy?” Max asked, sounding a little bit lost. “Where were you?” I gave him a hug whilst he was sat there on my phone. “Okay. I love you Daddy.” He smiled, a tear falling.

Max handed me the phone, and I swear I heard Alex crying. “Alex?” I asked. “Sorry, he’s adorable.” He laughed. “Anyway, I don’t know how long I’ll be gone for, but I promise I’ll try and be back soon. I love you.” I smiled, even though I was in a small mood with him. “I love you too. Bye!” I smiled, and I heard him say goodbye as I hung up the phone.

“Right Maxie, Seeing as you’re Daddy has gone out for awhile, shall we invite Uncle Jack for a while?” He grinned, wiping his face. I was inviting Jack for a reason, not just for Max.

“Right, go and get your Tigger pyjamas on, because they’re Jack’s favourite!” He ran straight up the stairs. I pulled out my phone again, and rang Jack’s mobile. “Jack? Hey, can you come here please? And bring yourself all the stuff you’ll need for say, two weeks maybe? I’ll explain later, just hurry, Max wants you to read him a story.” I smiled, not letting him interrupt.

“Erm, okay… I’ll be there in about 15 minutes? Okay, well, bye Hanley.” He laughed, hanging up. Only me, Alex and Jack knew the reason that I hated being alone with Max in the flat, and it was a long story.

(Three years ago)

Alex was at work again till 11pm, so I put Max to bed at 7 and watched some TV. Well, I tried to, but I ended up cleaning the flat, seeing as Alex had put his clothes in various places in the room. I was in the middle of putting Max’s toys back in the basket, when I heard him scream from upstairs.

I ran upstairs, and looked into his cot, and realised he was choking on something. I had no idea what to do, I mean, what could I do? By the time I’d phoned an ambulance, he’d be dead! I tried patting him on the back, but that barely did anything.

I took him downstairs and froze in my tracks before realising that Alex was stood in the doorway, not just a stranger. “Alex, help! He’s choking on something!” I screamed, un-able to control my tears.

Alex actually knew what to do, and manage to save him from choking on a coin that had been in his cot, and I’d never known it was there. I let Alex put him to bed again, and I sat downstairs on the sofa with a glass of wine. I was 18, so I suppose it’d look odd if someone walked in, but I didn’t care.

The fact that I was his mother but I couldn’t help him had shaken me so much, I didn’t want to deal with something like that again. I was lucky that Alex had come home so early, or Max would be dead.

(Present time)

I shuddered at the memory, and I heard a knock on the door. I opened it to see Jack stood there, with a bag filled with stuff. “Hey, you might want to explain what’s going on.” He smiled, leaving the bag next to the door. “I wish I could! Alex has disappeared into thin air, and I don’t want to stay here alone, because of last time.” I sniffed, and Jack patted me on the back.

“That wasn’t your fault Hanners. Anyway, where is Max?” He laughed. Max came running down the stairs in his orange-and-black pyjamas like I’d told him to, and run straight to Jack. “Uncle Jack!” He grinned, giving him a hug. I wondered how long Jack would actually be staying here, because it felt like it’d be longer than two weeks.