chapter 47

Chapter 47:

I slid the phone back in the pocket, and it soon stopped ringing. I stood by the kitchen door, unable to move. Zack was about to tell Alex? Why? I felt myself shiver at the thought of Alex's reaction. I was interrupted by a loud noise in the kitchen, and I pushed to door open to reveal Max stood in the middle of the room, cereal spilled everywhere. "Oh Max!" I sighed, and joined him in the kitchen.

"Sorry Mummy, I was trying to help you." he cried, putting the empty cardboard box on the table. "Never mind. Why don't you go and watch TV while I make you some toast, 'eh?" I smiled, sweeping up the chocolate cereal. "With chocolate spread on it?" he smiled back, and I nodded as he ran into the living room. I put the bread in the toaster and began to make myself another cup of tea, thinking about this morning. For starters, Alex has disappeared, again. Secondly, Zack and I had kissed, and I still don't know how I felt about that. Thirdly, Zack tried to ring Alex, maybe telling him about it? 

That was when I heard a knock on the door. I walked slowly over, and opened it carefully. It was Alex! He dropped the bags he was carrying and lifted me into his arms. "Alex!" I laughed, confused about where he'd gone and what he was doing. "Hanley, I thought about what you said last night, and you're right. I'm going to make up for those three weeks I was gone, I promise you." He pressed his nose lightly against mine, leaving me staring into his beautiful brown eyes. Our cute moment was interrupted by Max, who started pulling on Alex's jeans. "Daddy? Where did you go?" He smiled, hugging him. 

Alex put me down, and reached over to one of the bags he'd brought. "I went to get you a sorry present Max." He smiled, kneeling down and sitting Max on his knee. "Max, I'm sorry I shouted yesterday, and I'm sorry that I said there was no more Uncle Jack. You can see Uncle Jack, I'm not going to stop you." He looked up and smiled at me too, and both me and Max were drawn in by his words. "No more fighting?" Max looked at us both. "No more fighting." Alex nodded. "To make it up to you, I bought you a Nintendo Wii!" he laughed, Max scrambled to the box. "Alex!" I gasped, as Max sat next to the box, grinning at it. This was a big deal for Max, because it would be his first games console. We had an Xbox 360 in the house, but it was Alex's, and he rarely went on it anyway. 

I gave Max his toast, and made another cup of tea for Alex, as he walked in the kitchen with his hands behind his back. "Alex, where did you go thi-" I was cut off by Alex's lips pressed on mine. "Hanley," He smiled, finally pulling away from my mouth. "Here, these are for you." he laughed, handing me a bunch of white roses. "Alex, they're beautiful!" I laughed as he kissed my cheek. "I knew they were your favourite" he winked, running his hand through my hair. He was being so sweet, and his behaviour reminded me of when I was pregnant with Max. 

"And, that's not all!" he laughed, drinking his tea. "Max is going to my parents' house at 6 tonight, and staying there so we can have a night together." He smiled, pulling me into his chest. "Aww, Alex, you're so cute! Are you sure they don't mind?" "Are you mad? They love Max!" he laughed, and he was right, they did love him. I looked at the clock; it was six hours until Max went over to the Gaskarth's house. "Daddy, can I play on my game now?" Max burst in, and Alex looked up at him. "Sure Maxie. Let's go set it up!" Alex laughed, as Max pulled him by the hand into the living room.

(6 hours later)

"Bye Maxie, have fun!" I shouted, as Alex's parents led him inside. Max loved his grandparents as much as they loved him, so the sleepover was a good idea after all. I wound up the window as Alex began to drive home. "You okay, Hanners?" he laughed, and I laughed along. He hadn't called me that in awhile. "I'm fine, looking forwards to later I suppose." I smiled, and Alex grabbed my hand, the other on the steering wheel. "I love you, Hanley." He was smiling slightly to himself. "I love you too, Alex." I smiled, squeezing his hand. We finally reached the flat, and Alex got out the car first, and opened the door for me to get out. 

Alex led the way into the flat, and I sat on the sofa, exhausted from taking care of Max all day. "Wait there, I'll be right back." Alex smiled, and scurried up the stairs. I began to think of what happened this morning again. Re-playing the moment when Zack and I kissed in my head. Did that mean Zack still likes me? I had no idea how I felt about him either. I just knew that I loved Alex.

Alex ran down the stairs, hands behind his back once again. "Hanley," He began, and I watched in fascination. "I don't think I could possibly tell you how much I love you, or how much you mean to me. I wanna thank you, first of all, for putting up with me, for sticking with me even when I disappeared for three weeks. So, I went out this morning to prepare for something." He got down on one knee, and I knew instantly what he was doing. "Hanley, will you marry me?" He murmured, and I could see the fright in his eyes. He pulled out a ring, and I couldn't have been happier. "Yes! Yes Alex, I will marry you!" I yelled, my voice squeaky with happiness.

He stood up, and I leaped into his arms, and he hugged me tightly. I looked at him with my arms around his waist, and saw a tear running down his face. "Alex? Why are you crying?" I smiled, wiping it away. "Because I was so scared you'd say no." He laughed, kissing my cheek. He gave me the ring, and I looked at it. It was beautiful! He put the engagement ring on my finger, and now, I wasn't just his girlfriend, I was his fiancé. I hugged him, and I could tell he was smiling. 

Our moment was interrupted by a loud knock on the door. I answered it, a smile on my face. That smile was only to be wiped off. Zack stood in the doorway, smiling at me. "Is Alex in?" He said, awkwardly. I was tempted to say no, but I let him in anyway. "Hanley, tell Zack the good news!" Alex grinned at me, and pulled my hand out to show him. "We're engaged!" Alex smiled, wrapping his arm around my waist. "Oh, congratulations!" Zack smiled, and I felt guilt and fear in my system. If Alex found out about earlier, there was no wedding, not even a relationship. I prayed Zack wasn't here to tell him. "Alex, we need to talk."