Chapter 57

Chapter 57:

-Hanley’s point of view-

I opened my eyes to see that Jack wasn’t in bed, so I reached over and checked my phone. I had a text from Jack; “Taken Max to see my mum and then we’ll probably go out somewhere else, See you later! Xx” I smiled to myself, as I sat up and stretched my arms. 

I threw one of Jack’s jackets on, and went downstairs to make myself a cup of coffee. I looked around, and realised that Jack really was devoted to being the best father he could possibly be for Max, as he’d taken him to visit his grandmother and then would probably stop off somewhere like the zoo. As harsh as it seemed, I remembered that Alex never did anything like that when he was the father. 

The closest we’d gotten to an adventure or a day out as a family, was when he disappeared for 3 days. I sighed, stirring my cup of coffee. I wondered where Alex was now. It brought tears to my eyes to think about what I’d done to hurt him in the past. I missed him like crazy, but like he said, it was for the best that we didn’t see each other.

I sat on the sofa and flicked the TV on, but I was shortly interrupted by the sounds of Jack and Max’s voices. “Mummy!” Max shouted, running into the room. “Max!” I smiled brightly, hugging him tightly. I stood up as Jack walked into the room, and gave him a hug. “Thank you, Jack.” I smiled, at him, but I noticed he seemed really unnerved about something “Jack? What’s up?” I asked, as Max ran up the stairs. 

“I have to tell you something..” Jack murmured. “Yes?” I replied, nervous about the news that he was about to tell me. “My mum… my mum is dying of cancer.” He cried, and a few tears slipped down his cheeks. I was literally speechless. I’d known his mum since I was little, and now she was dying?!

“What?” I whispered, not being able to stop myself from crying. “Doctors don’t know how long she has left.” He sighed, looking at the ground. This was hard from me to hear, but ten times worse for Jack. I felt terrible, as we sat in silence. 

“Jack.. I- I’m so sorry...” I whimpered, wrapping my arms tightly around his neck. I think this took him by surprise a little, but he put his arms around me and reached up over my shoulder to wipe his tears.  “It’s not your fault Hanley, I just... didn’t think it’d happen to her, you know?” He sighed, and I sat on his knee to comfort him.

I kissed his cheek, in order to show I was there for him. He moved so his lips met mine, but I didn’t pull back. We stayed, with our lips connected for a little while, before Jack pulled something out of his pocket and smiled at me. “Hanley, I know this is really very soon, but I need to ask you something…” He smiled, and I smiled back. “Anything, Jack.” 

“Hanley… would you marry me?” He asked, pulling out a ring and looking into my eyes. A few thoughts rushed through my mind at that moment. I knew I had to say yes. Part of me really didn’t want to get married, but I decided I’d ignore that part of myself. But I had to for Max, for Jack’s mum, for myself and most importantly, for Jack. I couldn’t hurt him any more, his mother was dying. When he asked, he sounded much more nervous than Alex did when he asked me to marry him.

“Yes, Jack, I will marry you.” I smiled brightly at him, and I saw the grin on his face, the happiest I’d seen him in awhile. He gently took my hand, and slid the ring on my finger. I was engaged… again. This time, I swore to myself that I would marry him. I’d never get over Alex if I didn’t. Jack kissed me again, and I felt myself smiling.