chapter 61

Chapter 61:

 -Jack’s point of view- 

I woke to see that Hanley was fast asleep; her head on my chest. I stroked her hair, and I smiled to myself. She was so beautiful, I felt like the happiest guy in the world to know that this time next week she’ll be my wife. I stroked her hair and she woke up, her eyes sleepily staring into mine. “Hey.” I smiled, and she smiled back. “Hey.” I heard her whisper.

“I’m really tired, I couldn‘t sleep last night.” She yawned, and I wrapped an arm around her shoulder. “Too excited about the wedding tomorrow?” I smiled, and she looked concerned about something. “Yeah, that’s it.” She looked back up at me and smiled again.

“Okay. I’ll let you sleep for a bit. I’m going to visit my mum, you need anything?” I asked, and she shook her head. “I’ll take Max with me so you can get some sleep.” I kissed her lips, and she smiled. I gently closed the door behind me, and trailed off into the bathroom to get dressed.

I heard Max get up, so after I finished getting changed; I went to stop him from waking Hanley. “Uncle Jack!” He smiled. He’d managed to dress himself already. “Max!” I smiled. He was 7 years old now, and he was a bright kid. We’re going to see my mummy again today.” I smiled, and he took my hand.

As we sat in the car, I explained how my mum and all the people in the hospice aren’t ‘very well’. He nodded and agreed to be quiet whilst we were there. We arrived, and trailed around the hospice until we found her ward. We walked in and Max sat on one chair, I sat on the other.

“Hey, Mum.” I smiled, and she smiled at us both weakly. “Oh, hello Jack and Max!” She seemed so frail; It killed me inside to see her like this. “Max, why don’t you go and have a look at the candy machine in the hallway? I’ll give you some money to pick out a chocolate bar.” She smiled, and I watched Max walk away.

“Jack. I have to tell you…” I nodded at her to continue. “The doctors here tell me that my disease is getting worse. They don’t think I’ll be able to make it to your wedding tomorrow.” She sighed, placing her hand on mine. “Wh-what? No! I- I need my mum to be there, It wont be the same without you!” I cried, almost letting my tears loose.

“Jack Barakat, You don’t need me. You have a family of your own growing. I’m lucky enough to be able to see that before I go.” She smiled, and I felt like breaking down in tears. “But, I really want you to see what a family I have. You’ve seen Max twice, and you haven’t seen Hanley since… I don’t even remember when you last saw Hanley!” I cried, and she stayed smiling at me.

“Jack, I’m proud of what you have, really, I am. I want to say that I love you; I always have and always will. You’re my son, and no matter what, I’ll always be proud of you.” She cried, a few tears escaping. I couldn’t help but burst into tears now. My mum was dying fast and there was nothing I could do about it. “Jack, I want you to go to that wedding tomorrow, and make me the proudest mother of all. I’ll do all that I can to attend, I promise.” She smiled, wiping her face and kissing my forehead.

“Oh-okay mum. I will. I promise.” I smiled. Max ran back into the room, with a smile on his face. “I found one, I found one!” He cried, excitement buzzing. “You’d better attend to him. Take this, and remember, I love you, Jack!” She smiled, handing me a pound coin. “Bye mum.” I muttered, painfully.