chapter 29

Chapter 29:

-----Zack’s point of view------

I felt so lousy. I didn’t know where Hanley and me stood at the moment; we hadn’t spoken in over 3 weeks, which was odd. We’d normally talk at least once a week, if not more. Now she was just ignoring me. 

I was lying on my bed, throwing a tennis ball at my wall, thinking about her, again. She was all I could think about, which was bothering me. I loved her, but this uncertainty to our relationship was worrying me that she loved me. 

My phone ringing from under my pillow interrupted my thoughts. My heart skipped a beat; was it Hanley? I squirmed to pick up my phone to see not Hanley’s, but Ella’s name on the screen. Slightly disappointed, I pressed the button. “Ella?” I questioned. “ZACK, OMG!” She exploded down the phone line, making my ears ring.

“Ella, what’s up?” I heard her take a deep breath, and she replied, “Oh my goodness, I just found out, and I HAD to congratulate you! Ahhh, I can’t be-“ “Congratulate me on what?” I interrupted. This was so confusing. “Oh my lord, you really don’t know? Well, I’ve just been talking to Hanley, and I can’t believe you and her are going to have a baby! I mean, a little baby Mer-“ 

“What?!” My panic interrupted her again. “Zack, you must have seen something like this was coming, before you hopped into bed with her…. After all, you would have used protection if you didn’t mean for this to happen!” She rejoiced. Was I missing something here? My heart was beating faster than every before, and I wondered if this was for real.

“Ella, if this is some kind of practical joke, it’s really not funny…” I muttered, gripping the tennis ball in my other hand. “Practical joke? Ha! You think I’d ring you at this time for it to be a joke? Zack, I’m not mad, I’m extremely happy for you! You should see Hanley’s baby bump, it’s so cu-“ “I never slept with Hanley.” I cut her off, and she fell silent.

“What?” She whispered. “I’ve not slept with Hanley, so if what your saying is true, then it’s not mine…” I murmured, tears brewing in my eyes. I wanted Ella to tell me this was a joke after all, and that the reason Hanley wasn’t speaking to me was because she was grounded for the time she snuck out to see me. 

“Oh my god Zack… I-I’m g-gonna have to call you back…” She sounded dreadfully worried, and my hopes that this was a joke were crushed at her stuttered words. She hung up almost instantly, and I felt the need to throw up. I hoped that Hanley hadn’t gone and cheated on me.

----------Hanley’s point of view----------

I was lying on my bed, thinking about baby names, and what was to happen now. What and when was I going to tell my mum? “Oh hey mum, I’m pregnant, I don’t know who the father is, but I know for sure it’s not my boyfriend!” I muttered, mimicking myself.

I was thinking this through until my phone rang loudly in my pocket. “Ella, sup?” I smiled. But that smile was soon to be wiped off. “Hanley, I kinda told Zack about the baby…” “YOU DID WHAT?!” I was stood up, shouting at the top of my lungs. “Oh come one, you couldn’t hide it from him forever!” She laughed, but she stopped suddenly. 

“Ella, I wasn’t ready to tell him!” I moaned, sitting down on the bed again. “Wh-what did he say?” I inquired. “Hanley, I need you to answer this question, honestly. Is the baby Zack’s?” She said, her tone the most serious I’d ever heard. I hesitated before responding; “No…” I whispered. “Who’s is it?” She said, almost instantly afterwards. 

“It’s-“ Should I tell her? I wondered. “Hanley?!” She snapped back to my attention. I couldn’t just ignore her. “I-it, erm…” I knew this day would come. To be fair I didn’t know who’s it was. I could say Alex, but then it might be Jack’s baby. “HANLEY.” She screamed, as if she was the one who was hurt.