chapter 63

Chapter 63:

I couldn’t believe Alex had just walked in and frightened Hanley out of our marriage like that. Staring at Alex right now, I wanted to punch the daylight out of him, but I didn’t think that would improve anything. “Why do you always have to ruin everything for me, huh?” I snarled, feeling angrier than ever.

“I have always loved Hanley, and you have always come along once we’d become close. Now, on our wedding day, Alex, you walk in and ruin everything! You’ve confused everyone in there!” I screamed at him, and he stood back a little. A crowd had gathered around us from inside the church, but right now, that was he least of my worries.

“Jack, you had your chance with her, and you blew it. Big time. You can say you love her all you want, but in the end, I’ll always love her more than you. There is no way you can beat me in my love for Hanley. I loved her way before you, and you know it. I even told you, I liked her, when we were about 15. That’s about 8 years ago, Jack! 8 years.” He shouted back, and I felt like punching him in the face there and then.

“You have had multiple chances with her, you idiot! More recently, when she cried out for you to forgive her, you threw her out! You threw her out and she came running to me. That, is the reason we are here today. You have had too many chances than you deserve, and you think that if you can’t have her, no-one can! Well, you’re wrong. She said she couldn’t wait for the wedding, and now, you show up and suddenly she’s frightened to death of it!” I yelled, my voice raging with anger.

“Boys!” My mum wheeled her wheelchair in between us both, and everyone fell silent. “Alex.” She turned to face him. “I asked Jack to do this. You see” She turned to face everyone else as well as Alex. “For those of you who don’t know, I’m dying. I don’t have much longer until I die. One of the last things I wanted to see is to see my son get married to the girl of his dreams. Hanley is that girl. Alex, as a dying woman, I am asking you please- let Hanley marry my son. It’s the last thing I want to see in the world.” She sighed, and Alex looked from her to me, and back at her.

“I- I’m sorry, Mrs Barakat. But I can’t let Hanley go. I love her too much.” He sighed, and the crowd behind us began whispering and chatting. “Very well.” She sighed, and I felt myself cry inside. Not even my mother’s appeal could stop him destroying the best thing that ever happened to me? I didn’t know what would.