chapter 49

Chapter 49:

-----Alex’s point of view-----

After the ordeal with Hanley and Zack, I slammed the bedroom door shut and sat on the edge of the bed, letting my tears escape. After all we’d been through together, and she’d gone back to her ex behind my back? This was twice I’d been in this situation now, first with Jack, and now with Zack.

I couldn’t stop replaying the moment where Max told me and Hanley’s reaction in my head. I made myself look like such an idiot as well. “I know Hanley, she wouldn’t!” I didn’t even know my girlfriend well enough to realise what she’d done in the past, to both me and Zack. I began to think about it.

We were engaged for less than 10 minutes, only for our happiness to be crushed. Well, my happiness at least. If she kissed Zack, she must have liked him in some way! Sudden realisation hit me; she was only staying with me for Max. She didn’t love me! I was a fool to think she wanted to marry me because she loved me. She loved Zack, not me.

I came to a final decision; I was going to break up with Hanley. It was the only logical thing to do, end it before I got hurt again. Besides, I didn’t want Max to get distraught, watching his mum cheat on his dad. Luckily this time he was too young to understand what’d gone on.

Wiping my face, I opened the door and ran down the stairs. My heart tore a little more as I saw Hanley stood in Zack’s arms, crying. I hated to see her cry, but this hurt even more to see her in someone else’s arms. Zack stood back, and Hanley kept her eyes on the floor.

“Max, go to your room, sweetie.” Hanley muttered, still not looking up from the ground. Max ran up the stairs and I heard his bedroom door shut. “Hanley, it’s time we stopped seeing each other.” I sighed, trying to stay strong so she could see I was serious. She looked up at me then, her face glistening with tears. “What?” She whispered, hurt drowning her words.

“I’m- I’m breaking up with you.” I sighed, looking away. She began to cry into her hands even more, and Zack tried to wrap his arms around her, but she pushed him away. “But what about Max?” She cried, wiping her cheeks with her jacket. “Well, you’ll have to take him with you, wherever you move to. I have a job, remember?” “Alex, you can’t do this to him.” She stepped forwards, forcing me to look at her.

“I’m sorry, but I’m not the one who caused this.” I whispered, and ran her hand through her hair, turning away from me, whilst more tears fell. “Please Alex, I’m so sorry! I can’t put Max through this, please don’t do this to him!” She screamed, sweeping her fringe back with her hand.

“Hanley, I can’t do anything more for you! It’s over.” I shouted back, and she collapsed on the sofa, muffled sobs filling the silence. I’d just said goodbye to the best 5 years of my life, but hopefully, it was the right thing to do.