chapter 30

Chapter 30:

“Let’s get back inside, Hanley” Alex whispered and put his arm around me, but I couldn’t move. I felt stiff due to the cold and because I was scared. I couldn’t believe what was happening. “C’mon” Alex tugged on my shoulder. I slowly turned around and he led me into his house.

“Are you okay?” he closed the door and picked up the bags I’d dropped. I couldn’t speak. Alex bit his lip and took me by my hands “Everything’s gunna be okay, and that’s a promise” As much as I wanted to believe him; I couldn’t help but have my serious doubts.

He leaned in and kissed me lightly on the cheek, I felt like I was really killing what could be a romantic moment, but at this point I didn’t care about romance, love or having a boyfriend. I just need someone to get me through this.

Without a word he kept hold of my hand and pulled in the direction to the stairs, I looked at him, he seemed too confident about the situation, maybe that’s a good thing though. I braved a weak smile and followed him upstairs.

He gently placed my bags near the bed as we both sat, still hand in hand. ‘Tell me what happened?’ he looked deep into my eyes, a serious expression on his face. “Ella knows.” “Fuck” he said under his breath interrupting me. I frowned at him “Sorry, continue” he gave a nod. “She called me, she was the one who told Zack” “Wait a sec…” “Alex!” I blurted out. “Dammit, sorry, I’ll leave my questions to the end” “Thank you” I sighed.

“Anyway, Ella told Zack and obviously he had no idea what the hell she was on about, so she called me asking who’s it was, I said yours because If I said it was Jack’s, Ella would have gone ballistic” “Wait, sorry to interrupt again but, why would you have said Jack anyway?’ “SHIT” I shouted, in my head.

I felt my hands sweating up; I think he felt it too. “B-because, all I was thinking about was not telling the truth a-and I know it’s yours and if it’s not Zack’s it h-had to be Jacks?” I stuttered, I don’t think that made any sense but Alex looked convinced. “So, y-yeah” my nerves were really getting to me now, one more slip up like that and this situation will have gone from the worst anything could be to even more fucking worse than that.

“Uhm, so I said it was yours and she got really mad at me for cheating on Zack and I ended up hanging up, I assumed her mum heard the whole thing and told my mum, because my mum knew some how. That’s when she told me to either get rid of it, or leave. So here I am” I finally breathed, that was a mouthful and I was speaking quite promptly out of anxiousness.

“I see, but how did Ella know you were pregnant?” “She could kind of tell, and then I confirmed it but never told her who the father was. She guessed Zack’s, because well you know he was my boyfriend at the time’’ anger started to form in my voice.

-----Jack’s point of view-----

I was lying on my bed watching family guy when suddenly my phone started ringing, it was Zack. ‘What’s up man?’ I’m glad I’d kind of forgotten that he was the boyfriend of the girl who’s possibly carrying my baby. Then I remembered. ‘Can I come round?’ ‘Uhm, sure. What’s wrong?’ He knows, he knows everything, he’s gunna kill me. I thought to myself as I started to shake.

‘I’ll explain when I get there’ He sounded angry. ‘Okay’ my voice was uneasy.

I hung up and tried to calm myself, ‘Play it cool in case he doesn’t really know anything.’ I kept thinking.

Minutes later there was a knock, I rushed down the stairs and opened the door. ‘Hey’ I smiled awkwardly. He didn’t speak, just stormed through the door. ‘What’s up?’ my hands started to quiver; I held them behind my back. ‘You’re not gunna believe it, Hanley’s pregnant’

He paused; I gasped a delayed reaction, hoping I didn’t look suspicious of already knowing. ‘And Alex is the father’ I could hear rage building up inside of his voice. ‘H-how do you know?’ I stuttered. ‘Ella told me’ he sighed. ‘Ella?!’ my voice rose.

‘Yes…’ he trailed off. ‘You’re gunna have to fill me in, I’m not up to date at all!’ ‘Ella called to congratulate me and I had no idea what she was talking about, then I went over to Hanley’s but she was leaving with her bags packed.’ ‘What?! Where’s she going?’ I shouted.

‘Don’t worry she’s at Alex’s’ ‘Oh’ I began to breath heavily. For a moment there I panicked so much my heart rate increased rapidly. ‘That’s about it’ Zack dropped his head, he looked more hurt than angry now.

‘I’m sorry man’ Zack looked as though he was about to burst into tears. He looked up and tried to smile. ‘So, what are you gunna do?’ I asked quietly, I couldn’t deal with these awkward silences, it just made me wanna blurt out the truth. ‘I don’t know, I don’t think I can’t trust Hanley again. Guess I’m just gunna go’ ‘Go?’ I raised my eyebrow at him.

‘Yeah, I don’t wanna deal with anyone right now, they’re gunna notice Hanley’s pregnant and I’m gunna get a lot of questions, and I can’t deal with it’ he put his head in his hands ‘I see’ I walked over to him ‘It’s gunna be okay man’ I heard him begin to cry as he wiped his eyes. I don’t know if I could on much longer pretending nothing happened. I bit my tongue trying to hold back my words as Zack continued to weep.