chapter 51

Chapter 51:

(8 weeks later)

I’d been at Jack’s house for about two months now, yet I still wasn’t over Alex completely. Jack had been a great help though, helping me through this, and even comforted Max when he cried over missing his dad.

I looked over at Jack; he was tying Max’s shoe laces, both of them smiling. “Where are you two going?” I laughed, finishing my cup of coffee. “We’re all going into town today, I think it’s time we went out together for the day.” He laughed, and Max stood up. “Yeah mummy, you’d better get Uncle Jack to tie your laces too!” He joked, pulling on my hand.

“What?” I laughed, putting the empty cup on the table. “Come on Hanley!” Jack whined, pulling on my other hand, forcing me to stand up. “Ugh, okay, okay!” I put on my shoes, and walked into the kitchen, putting the empty mug in the sink.

We walked out the house together and Jack shut the door behind us. Max grabbed both of our hands, and we began walking down the street towards the town centre. Jack lived so near town, it was only a ten minute walk, so I often went with Max.

Eventually, we got to town, and I noticed Starbucks in the corner of town. “Hey, why don’t we all go to Starbucks? Max can have a cake, and me and you could have a coffee together?” I laughed, as Max had perched himself on Jack’s shoulders. “Yeah sure! Would you like that, Maxosaurus?” Jack smiled, putting him back down on the ground. “Yeah!” Max smiled, and we began making our way down there.

Once we got inside, I went to find a seat with Max, whilst Jack bought two coffees, a chocolate muffin, and a carton of apple juice. “You wait here Maxie, I’m going to go help Uncle Jack carry the drinks over.” I smiled, leaving him playing with his Thomas the Tank Engine. I stood next to Jack in the queue, and he smiled at me.

“Grab a tray from over there, I forgot to.” He laughed, pointing to a huge stack of plastic trays. “Silly Jack!” I giggled like a child, walking over to them. In the corner of my eyes, I swear I saw a very familiar face. Was that… It was! It was Ella! I gasped, hiding behind the trays. Who was she with? I think it was Alex… but I could never be sure. I gasped, wanting to get out of here as fast as possible.

-------Ella’s point of view-------

I was sat in the coffee shop with Alex. I’d bumped into him a couple of weeks ago, and now we remained good friends. I really did want to know what happened to Hanley, but Alex never brought it up, so I decided it was best to just leave it.

Thinking of Hanley, I looked up from my cup of coffee, to see a girl who looked exactly like her. Of course it couldn’t be her, could it? I looked over at her again… She appeared to be hiding from me, trying to avoid my sight. I caught a glimpse of her face, and it was definitely her.

A small amount of anger built up inside of me, but I let it slide past me. I didn’t want Alex to see her, because if after 7 weeks of being friends, and he still didn’t talk about her, something bad must have gone down between them.

“Ella? What’cha looking at?” He smiled, turning to see what I was looking at. “Oh nothing, just thinking.” I laughed. I looked past him, to see Hanley with a small child, someone that looked like my ex-boyfriend Jack Barakat.

Sudden realisation hit me; The small child that was with her, must be Jack’s. Which must be why Alex doesn’t talk about her! It all made sense now. I had an urge to bring it up with him, to make sure I had the story straight.

“Say Alex… How is Hanley and Jack’s baby? Well, he’s not so much a baby now..” “What?” He laughed, looking at me like I’d said something unusual. “You know, their baby? The one she had before I left town?” I tried to smile, but that memory still hurt. His smile disappeared, and he turned to look at what I was still staring at.

Without one word, he stood up, leaving his cup on the table. “Alex!?” I shouted, and the whole shop went silent. I saw Hanley and Jack look up and the shop stayed silent.

-------Hanley’s point of view-------

I turned around, and saw Alex, stood up, glaring at me. I hadn’t let him see Max since we’d left, I didn’t have the guts to be able to reply to texts and answer his phone-calls, and after 5 weeks of continuous failed contact, he gave up.

“Jack, get Max out of here now.” I whispered, and he nodded, hurrying Max out the door before he noticed Alex. “Hanley, what the fuck is going on here?” Alex hissed, as the door shut behind Jack. I couldn’t speak, seeing him so suddenly literally paralysed me on the spot.

“You fucking lied to me! Max is Jack’s child, isn’t he?” he hissed. What was he talking about?