chapter 11

Chapter 11:

--------------Hanley’s Point of View---------------

I was still looking at Zack. He was adorable, in his own way. He had full concentration on the game that flickered bright colours on the screen. “You’re gonna go blind by staring at that thing all day you know!” I joked. He smiled his smile again, and rolled his eyes. “Fine, I’ll turn it off.” He stood up and pressed the button, and the yellows and reds that once flooded the screen disappeared.

As he sat back down, I noticed how muscular he actually was. I mean, I knew he was before, but when he’d sat down again, I got a glimpse of his stomach muscles. He didn’t seem the type to go to the gym a lot, but I guess everyone has their surprises. He caught me in the act, and he stared at the floor in modesty, blushing slightly. “Zack-“His eyes met mine, the familiar smile on his lips. “What do you think of me? I just want to know, because apparently I don’t make good impressions on people.” I flicked my eyes to the floor and back again. The sentence was as awkward to say as it was true.

“Hanley, you’re amazi-“He stopped himself, blushing. “Go on...” I said, and I could feel myself falling for him. I was woken from my daze, by his hand, lightly gripping mine. He was looking at me again, and I could feel myself blushing, my cheeks burning. “Hanley, I... kind of like you. You know, more than a friend..” He snatched his hand back, and shoved it in his pocket, and I could feel the heat from his face from where I was sat. I felt kind of sorry for him. But I was jumping for joy on the inside.

I smiled, and grabbed his hand. He lifted his head, to see my finger in-between his. He smiled back, and I could tell he was relieved. He sat, looking at me. Not in the eyes, because I think he was embarrassed. But a second later, his cute smile returned once again, and I couldn’t stop myself from my actions I took.

I wrapped both my hands around his neck, and pressed my lips against his. I could tell this had surprised him, but he seemed pretty happy. I was happy, he was happy. It felt right. I wasn’t hurting anyone, because now Ella had Jack. I was sure I’d get over him. But then, my mind flicked back to the moment where Jack and I nearly kissed. I felt my heart skip a beat, and it took a moment to realise something. ‘Jack must like me too, or else he wouldn’t have gotten to nearly kissing me.’

-----------From Jack’s point of view----------------

I was sat in my room, finally doing that long forgotten coursework, and my phone buzzed. I reached over to get it, and I saw it was Hanley. I’d forgotten until now, but I remembered that moment where we almost kissed. I wasn’t sure what was right, what was wrong anymore. I was sure that what happened with me and Ella was right at the time, but now, I just wasn’t so sure.

One thing I was sure about though, was that I needed to clear my head up and sort this out. I had to choose, Hanley or Ella? I couldn’t choose, but I certainly couldn’t cheat. I looked at the text on my phone, realising that I hadn’t read it yet.

[Jack! Omg, you’re actually not going to believe it! Meet me outside, I’m like here now:’)]

I ran to the front door, and sure enough, she was there. I felt my heart stop for a second, but I shook my head and step outside. She turned around and looked at me, with a large smile on her face. “Sup?” I laughed, intrigued by what the text was about.

“I kissed Zack, so everything is okay now! You can go with Ella, and I can go with Zack!” I felt my face drop. She must have seen it too, because she went from a happy face, to a worried one. “Jack, what’s up? Look, if it’s about what happened earlier, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean for that to happen.” “It’s not that.-“ I interrupted, and she fell silent. “Look-“ I wasn’t sure how to put it into words, but I managed. “What if I don’t want Ella? What if What I felt with you was, I don’t know, better?” I put my hands behind my head, and I saw the distressed look on Hanley’s face, as a single tear fell from her eye.

We stood in silence on my front garden, just thinking. I didn’t know what to say. She mustn’t have known what to say. It was just a bare silence. “So, what are we gonna do Jack?” Her muffled voice was drowned in confusion. “I don’t know. Stay away from each other for awhile?” I stared up at the cloudy sky. “I don’t want to lose you as a friend. I just want things to go back to normal. Look, I’m sorry I caused all this. You could have had Ella, and I would have been fine finding Zack on my own. This whole mess is my entire fault.” She put her head in the hands, tears rolled down, black with her eye make-up.

“Hanley, it’s not just your fault. It’s mine as well. But let’s just forget about this whole deal. Put it behind us. You just spend more time with Zack, and I’ll spend some more time with Ella. I’m sure our feelings will go away that way....” She looked and nodded. “Yeah... that’s probably a good idea.... I gotta go.” She didn’t even say by, she just turned and left me standing there in my yard, literally sprinting down the road. As much as this hurt the both of us, it was probably for the best.