42

I stare out the window, trying to forget the last hour of events.

"You just don't know? Why are you sitting here? Tell me." I wait for him to repsond, holding all my pain in just a little longer.

"Because I love you! If I wasn't sitting here, I would be with Charlene, and I don't want that!!" I stand there, about to cry at his words. "Then why did you say you don't know? Your confusing me! I don't know if you love me, or if you love her?" I plow my hands through my hair, feeling frustrated.

I never thought that our first fight- would be about Charlene.

"Caroline. I need answers. I was left hanging, and I need to see her. I have to find out every last thing that involves something with me." He sighed.

"Then why are you still sitting here. By all means, don't waste your time, go now before it's too late." He looks at me, wanting me to tell him to stay. I don't tell him. "I will." His words pierce through me, hurting me. He grabs his coat, and walks out of the room, slamming the door behind him.

Tears fall down my face as I place my head on my hands, leaning forward. I get back up and dial Bailey's number.

"Hello?"

"Bailey.." I sob.

"Care, what's wrong? I haven't heard from you in a long time!" I coughed, leaning forward. "Can you come over? I'll explain everything when you get here."

"I'm in my car, getting ready to drive over. See you in a few." I end the call, falling on the bed, crying like a little girl.

"Bailey!" I yelled heading towards the door. I open it, seeing her come towards me. "Anything?" She shakes her head. I know she didn't want to tell me that. I wince, covering my eyes as I cry. She pulls my in, holding me and comforting me. "The funny thing is, I knew this would happen. Right when I saw her at the door, I knew he would go back to her.."

Just then, the door opens with Derek walking through, stomping his feet. I let go of Bailey, looking at him. He looks up, shocked. "You ass." Bailey says, walking up to him and slapping him in the face. I covered my mouth.

"How dare you leave her like that! She loves you, isn't that enough to make you stay?" He walks towards me, holding one side of my face. "Care I.." I reluctantly away, my arms crossed. "I have stuff to tell you, and your not going to be happy." He says walking back to the door and taking his shoes off. "Sit." He demands.

"Your brother said that he was engaged right?" I nodded, moving in my spot. "Did he tell you a name?" I shook my head. He placed his hand on mine, rubbing it gently. His eyes became glossy as he looked up at me. "He was the man she cheated on me with."

-

I sat there, not saying a word. I was so shocked. Thoughts spread throughout my mind as I tried to process everything I had just heard. Did he try to kill her? My brother wouldn't do such a thing.

"No. He wouldn't. He didn't." He scoots towards me, holding both my hands and looking at me. "I know he didn't try to kill her. He wouldn't do that.." I shook my head. "That's what I need to figure out."

"Your brother is back in town?!" Bailey buds in. I look at her. "Sorry.."

"We need to go to your parents house and ask him, now."

I get up putting my stuff on and heading to the car with the kids and Bailey.

As we pull in the driveway, I don't hesitate getting out right as he parks. I fast walk up to the porch and barged inside. Looking for Isaac, I didn't even manage to say hi to my parents. Isaac comes down the hall, noticing me. I walk towards him and jab a finger at him.

"Your the one who tried killing Charlene?!!" My eyes were wide with excitement. I heard my mother gasp. "Your the one she cheated on Derek with. You were with when she went missing!" I looked at his flustered face.

"How do you know about that?" I heard the door open but I didn't turn around. "Is that what she told you? You guys have seen her? Where is she?!" I shove him against the wall. "She's been 'dead' for the past two years now! Derek and her have a kid, and you tried to kill her?!" He breaths heavily.

"Thats what she told you, huh?"

"Caroline let go of him!" My mother calls.

"In fact, yes she did. I wanna know that my brother didn't attempt to kill someone! I know your not capable of doing it!!" I let him go, he blinks and looks at Derek.

"She never told me she had a kid, nor married. She said she was a free spirit, living her life one day at a time. I'm guessing her excuse to get away from me was that I tried to kill her."

I looked at Derek. "Isaac," He says taking his shoes off. He was too kind enough to keep them on. "The police said she was dead. I went to her funeral. And come to think of it, it was closed casket." He fell to his knees.

"Cate would never do that, nor would she say it!" I freeze in place. "Cate?! Was that her name that she told you?!" He nodded and covered his ears. "I'm guessing she told you something else?" Derek scoffed and pulled out his phone. "I'll be back." He walks outside and holds the phone up to his ear. A few minutes later, Derek joins us back in the house. "We need answers, correct?" Isaac gets up from the ground, and nods. "Char- Cate will be here soon. Then, me you and Caroline can go and talk to her at the cafe down the street."

"Wait.. How do you know there is a cafe down the street?" My voice is cracky. "I did some running, remember?" I nodded my head slowly, understanding what he meant.

We get into the car, leaving the kids with my parents. He brings the engine to life, pulling it out of the driveway. I look in the back at Isaac, checking to see how he's holding up. "I'm fine Caroline. At least.. I will be." Derek pulls into the parking lot of the cafe, staring in the window at Charlene sitting alone, casually drinking her coffee.