57

Derek had been going in to the hospital quite often, seeing that his tumor has been shrinking slowly but in progress.

He had quite a few MRI's, which made him dizzy afterwards. But other than that he was getting better.

"My face is getting swollen, is that an effect to this medication?" He asked Pearl as he sat on the bed. "Yes, the medication will do that, but you are getting better so that's all that matters." She seemed so sure.

"I really appreciate it Pearl, for everything." She shook her head and smiled a little. "Like I said, it's all just the way your body reacts to the medication." We laugh.

"Well we are done for the week, I will email you a time for next week." We agreed and waved goodbye. On our way out, we stopped by the café, grabbing some lunch.

"My boss called, I have to work the night shift. Only a few hours though." I had gotten a new job at the bakery downtown. I always like decorating cakes and serving them out.

"Thats fine, I get night shift as well." I smiled and brushed his cheek. "You'll be fine. Imagine what I have to go through everytime your gone." He shakes his head and sets his fork down.

"I don't think Alyssa likes me. She hardly talks to me." I tilted my head. "I think the same thing about Wren, I think they're just scared, maybe nervous?" He shrugged, spinning his fork around his salad.

"I guess."

-

When I got to work, I was greeted by my Co workers, getting straight to my orders. "When was this one ordered?" Franny looked over, squinting her eyes.

"That one was an hour ago, the man asked for it specifically designed the way it says." It's funny, cause this is what I would order when I made mine. I thought for a moment, coming to a conclusion. Derek.

The phone rang and I ran to it, picking it up and smiling at Franny. "Tina's cakes how may I help you?"

"Caroline? Is that you?"

"Pearl? Yeah what's wrong?" She seemed like she was in a hurry. "It's Derek, come down to the hospital as soon as you can." My blood froze, I hung up and ran towards the door, grabbing my bag and keys.

"Hey where you goin'?!" I didn't answer, I was too worried.

-

"What's going on? Where is he!" Pearl stopped me, looking in my eyes. "He broke down, I got a call from him and I sent my best people over, they got to him just in time before..." I couldn't stop shaking.

"What happened to him?" I sobbed.

"He's not doing well." She turned on her heal and I followed after her. She brought me to the room he was in, I rushed in without hesitation.

"Why is he like that?" I touched his arm, gasping from his cold skin. "W-why is he cold?" I shook my head. "Caroline.." She placed a hand on my shoulder.

"He's not dead.." I looked to the beeper that kept his heartbeat tapped, it was fine. I felt scared, this could not he happening.

"But he was perfectly fine before I left for work!" I coughed, holding his cold hand. "He's not dead, nor dying." She sighed, walking to the other side of the bed. "What's wrong with him?" I looked up at her, she wasn't wanting to tell me something.

"Pearl. Whatever your not telling me.." She closed her eyes and looked at her clip board. "He will be fine as long as he works with us. It's all up to him."

"What do you mean?!" She was not telling me, and I was getting frustrated.

"Caroline. He's in a coma."