22

"Your his what?" I ramble, getting up from my chair and looking at her straight in the eye.

"If I may ask, who are you?" Her voice bold on the word and I'm thrown back by her rudeness. "I'm his girlfriend." I say with my full confidence.

"Oh. So you, know about us I'm guessing?" Oh you bet.

"Is there something bad that I should know?" She's really pushing my anger level with her curiosity. She looks back at her husband who is talking to one of the nurses about visiting Derek. I don't know how he will take this. Did he already know they were coming here and didn't tell me?

"Well, I don't know what you know." I mind as well tell you then.

"I know that you hate him for marrying Charlene. That you hate her so much, you even hate their child, your grandchild." Her face sours up and a frown spreads across her lips.

"He..told you that?" Her expression is getting me confused. "Yes, he also told me that you wanted nothing to do with him." I cross my arms in front of my chest and she sits down on the bench across from the door. My anger level on her rudeness has died down but it's still there.

She shakes her head and sobs with her hands over her face. "Is that not true?" I try to be as polite as possible. "Well half of that, the part about how we didn't like Charlene. There was just something about her that I just knew was suspicious." Her head lifts up and she wipes her tears off.

"I'm guessing you hate us too?" Well yes but no.

"I can't really say it because I don't know you well enough to let myself have hate towards you." She looks up at me and smiles. "I take that as a compliment." I give her a small smile, not doubting my original thoughts about her. The door behind us opens with at least five of each gender of nurses. "Can we?" She nods before I can finish.

I go into the room, shaking hands. I see him and almost fall to the floor. I cover my mouth with my hands and walk to his side. Tears fall down my face and onto his sheets. I look at his eyes that are fluttering open. "Caroline? Ow." I smile at him and look back to find his parents.

"We will give you some space. Let us know when we can come in." Alright then...

"Mom? Dad?" Oh no. This is exactly what I didn't want to happen. His mother stops in her tracks, followed by his father. "What are they doing here?" He says to me and I shrug, not knowing what to say.

"Tell them to leave, I need to talk to you." He whispers to me. I look over to his parents and I nod at them. They walk over to the door and step out of it. "Thank The Lord!" He whispers as he reaches for my hand. I pull away gently, making sure I don't hurt him while he's still in pain. "What?" He calmly asks and I shake my head scoffing at him.

"You lied. Not only to me, but to your own parents?" I can feel the burn in my eyes as the tears that laid there before, roll down my cheek and leave the stains of hurt behind them. "What do you me-"

"Don't lie to me, again. You told me that your own mother hated Charlene. She knew there was something wrong with her, and you even knew it yourself? You let her believe that if she didn't like Charlene, she would just let you go all together. And then you also go and let her believe that she doesn't like Wren because he was Charlene's child? Derek, why would you do that? Your parents loved you, and they sure as hell still do! They even showed up to make sure you were okay for gods sake!" I pause my lecture just to get some closure on his response.

"Care, they hated Charlene because they knew something was up. She had a kid with me, then cheated on me, got killed for," His pause was to get a cough in between. "She got killed for lying to the man she had the affair with. So yes, my mother and I did notice that something was off about her, but I just didn't think it would've been that." I'm confused on his confession because I remember one little detail he told me on our first date.