40 - the return

The sun seeped through the window, blinding me. I turned the other direction and groaned. I dared myself to look at the time, and it was 11:30. Derek was still snoozing when I turned back. My eyes stared blankly at him, wondering how he can be so nonchalant and not have a worry in the world.

I wiped my finger across his forehead and stopped once I noticed his eyes fluttering open. I turned the other way, feeling tense. I felt his arm creep around my waist. "Morning sneaky pants." He whispers in my ears. "Morning.." I said in a surrendered voice. "You don't have to hide." He said moving my face towards his. "There she is." His smile woke me up. "Here I am." I mumbled.

I love how I can still get nervous from him, even though he isn't the same as he was before. Just a little bit of him has changed. "Um, should I make breakfast? Did I do that a lot?" I smiled. "Every morning." He grinned and hopped out of bed. "Anything specific?" I thought long and hard out if all the things he'd made me. "Surprise me." I smiled proping my elbow up. "Surprise it is then."

I sat in the room alone, thinking about the previous events. California, the flight home, his surgery, the whole month I was away from him, and his returning home. I shot up and raked my fingers through my hair.

I got out of bed and headed for the kitchen. As I got to Derek I wondered what he would do. He turned around at the sound of my feet. I pressed my lips against his. I heard a clang, he had dropped his spatula. His hands traveled up my back and made it down to the small of my back. My hands wrapped around his neck, gripping it.

He stopped for air, looking at me. "What's wrong?" He asked. I looked at his eyes. They seemed different in a way, but they were a special kind of different. "I couldn't wait any longer.." I spoke kissing him again. It felt so good to kiss him again. It felt like a long time since the last time we made out.

I pulled away, curling my lip as my hands were still attached to his neck. "I'm gonna burn the eggs." He sighed. I let go of him and backed up against the counter. He flopped them on a plate and set it down on the table sprinkling some cheese on them. The toaster popped and a piece of toast landed on my plate, the butter was first, then the jam. How I always liked it..

How did he know I liked it like that, nobody ever puts butter on it then jam?

I was handed a fork to me and I dug in.

D E R E K

"I'll be right back." I said, placing a kiss on her head. I walked into the room and looked around for something. Something that made me remember before I lost what we had. I looked through my dresser and threw clothes out. Something hit the wall. I turned around and saw a shiny object on the floor. It was a ring. An engagement ring.

I was going to propose to her.

I examined the ring in my hands. It was a beautiful diamond with smaller ones around it. I put the ring in my pocket and gathered all the clothes. Trying to place them as neatly as possible in the drawer, I hear footsteps. "Hurry up!" My thoughts screamed. The door opens just as I shut the drawer. Caroline walked in licking her fingers. "I'm so full.." She holds her stomach. "Well that's good. That means you liked it then?" She nodded her head and sat down on the bed. "Thank you." She says. I could feel my cheeks burning as the ring moved between my fingers in my pocket.

"Come here." She said. My head said yes, but my gut told me no, you'll slip. I didn't want to embarrass her, so I climbed on the bed. She hugged my arm and sighed. "I.." She stopped. "What?" I said.

"Nothing." I shifted towards her more, her cheeks were red. "Tell me." I begged. "It's going to be weird." I smiled at her. "I like weird." She looked up at me and smiled. "I love you too." I said knowing the exact phrase she was going to say. "I.. ugh. How'd you know?" I shrugged and rubbed my finger up and down her arm. "You love me don't you?"