26

"The zoo!" Alyssa screams in the bathroom as I braid her hair. "Well, I guess. As long as it makes you happy?" She jumps up and down and messes the braid up once again. "Sweetie can you stand still please?" She stops immediately and stands straight like a soldier just as she calls it.

"Okay finally.. Go get your shoes on." she rushes out of the bathroom like she was caged up all day and needed to get out. I get my shoes on as well and grab the keys from the counter. "Just wait I got to leave Derek a note." I grab a piece of paper and a pen and I leave Derek a note.

On the weekdays that he works, he usually gets back around three from the coffee shop. I walk out of the door and lock it behind me.

"I wanna go see the penguins!" She wails, and I grab her hand and lead her to the penguins. Once we reach there I notice someone standing alone on the other side of the area. "Mrs. Taylor?" I asked and the lady turned to me and a small smile appeared on her face.

"Ah, a familiar face. It's good to see you again!" I shake her hand and she nods her head. Her smile grew as she turned to the other side of me. We weren't that close were we? "Is this your daughter Derek has been telling me about?" He's been talking about her? More importantly, he's been talking to them! Can I just say, wow!

"Yes, Alyssa come here." She does as she's told and walks her way over to us with a bright smile. She goes right to my side and hides a little behind me. "I didn't know you have kept in touch with him?" She sighs and looks down at Alyssa.

"Not as much, but every once in a while I'll call him up and we chat for a little while. I just hope that it doesn't fade away. I don't want to lose him for good, now that he's grown up, it's a lot harder." I nod in agreement, of course I know what she's going through. If I were in that situation with Alyssa, I don't know if I would take it the way she is.

"Well I better go then huh?" She smiles at me and waved goodbye. I turned around with Alyssa and we headed off to the lions.

...

One day with Alyssa turned out to be a week. It may not of seemed like a lot of time, but we caught up fast. She was always now asking me to play puzzles with her and color. Of course for a mother like me, we chose to multitask.

"Caroline? I'm Home." Derek's voice boomed through the house and I got up to greet him. As I reached him, I pulled him in. For a long, passionate kiss. I pulled away slightly out of breath and waited for him to speak. "Uh... How was your day?" He asks placing his hands on my hips.

"Well, I saw your mother.." His eyes grew wide and his stare was blank. "At the zoo? What was she doing there?" Good question.. "I don't know the answer to that but, she said that you two had been talking a lot." I could feel his heart racing under my hand. Was he hiding something? Why was he so nervous?

*Derek's point of view*

I swallowed down as she waited for my responded. "What did she say we were talking about?" I questioned, I swear to God if my mother said anything I would.. "She just said that you two would talk every once in a while. Nothing else," she pauses "Or was there something you two are hiding?" She says while circling me.

"Nope. Nothing at all, why would I hide anything from you if I told you everything?" Nice one. I mentally patted myself on the back. "Alright, well me and Alyssa are doing puzzles and Wren took a nap on the couch. So..." He steps closer, holding my hands in his.

He's so distracting, it's terrifying. "Are you gonna make dinner?" I tried to change the subject as he stared deeply into my eyes. This isn't like him, he doesn't act like this.

"No?" He says and smiles wryly. His lips curve more when he notices I am starring. "Oh?" I say unsure of what he means. He leans in to kiss me and just as our lips are about touch..