49

"I was a troublemaker when I was a kid. I'd always go and trick people, making them believe one thing then lying about another. I regret it now." I shook my head in disbelief, smiling a little. "I think the cancer is to get back at what I had done wrong."

I didn't want to believe it, but it was true, I knew I'd get some sort of Karma for it. Sitting in this hospital bed makes me wonder if I could ever forgive the ones I'd hurt, or if they'd forgive me.

"Don't tell yourself that, it's not true."

"Then what is it? Cause I don't know Care, and I'd damn well like to find out why I have to go through this." She held my hand tight, but it didn't keep me from remembering the pain I had inside me.

"I know I say I'm okay, but.." I let tears roll down my eyes. I couldn't beat this? There was no way that I, Derek Taylor, could kick cancers ass. I just couldn't see it. "I know we can do this, you can do this. Don't let yourself down or you won't get any hope."

Hope. I tried to find the meaning of it. I'd only started with cancer for two weeks, and I already felt like hell was taking over. I know I said I had hope, but how much? I was so caught up in the whole Cate thing, I didn't even know when to pray for myself.

I couldn't leave Wren? I couldn't leave Caroline either, or Alyssa. They needed me, and I needed them. If I didn't have them, I'd have nothing.

"Your right, I need hope. I need to not only think of myself, but what I have. And I need to be grateful for it." She smiles, lighting of the room, and the florescent white walls, growing there accent around her. "That's right." She says with confidence.

I know right then and there, that I'll be okay If I had hope.