Nightmare // random one shot

You shoot up in bed suddenly wide awake in a cold sweat, breathing heavily as the room spun like a top. Hot tears were streaming down your face, and you bring your hand up to your forehead as you let out a shaky sigh, at the same time bringing your knees up to your chest.

"J-just a nightmare..."

You stammer as you look down to the plain white and tousled sheets that partially covered your shaking body, while at the same time running your hand up through your hair. After collecting yourself for a second while you took your surroundings in, you look towards the open window of yours and L's room, the thin curtains getting blown and twirled around in the summer night breeze entering your small home. It was a really beautiful evening, despite how awful it was just a few minuets ago. Your eyes then slowly trace down at the elongated shadows that the moonlight was casting at your feet, and you look up to the ceiling as you let out a sigh. These dreams had become more and more common. After a little while as your heartbeat started to slow down, you get up, putting your feet into some nice slippers before walking over to close the window, muffling the white noise of the city and the blowing wind. After doing so, the room was completely silent, a silence that was only broken by the sound of your breathing, and your heart thumping in your ears. You then silently move your gaze back up as you let out another shaky sigh, tapping your fingertips uneasily on the small windowsill. For some reason or another, you couldn't remember what your nightmare was about, but you knew it was dreadful. So dreadful that your mind probably stopped you from recalling it, and after you had awoken, you just couldn't stop crying.

It really was times like this that you wished your boyfriend could be with you. To comfort you and tell you everything is okay. To hug and kiss you to make you feel better, and cuddle you until you fell asleep. But...He had important work to do, and sometimes...Well, to put it bluntly he didn't really have time for that.

You think of this as you look out the window, staring up at the blurry stars and the glowing orange city. After just a little bit of time with that, you wipe your eyes with your wrist before turning towards the small wardrobe in the corner of the room, pulling one of L's shirts out before promptly slipping it on, tears continuing to find their way down your cheeks. If anything, it did make you feel better to wear your boyfriend's clothing, because it almost felt as if he was there with you. If you closed your eyes, you could smell the sugary-coffee scent, and almost taste it on your lips. But really, it wasn't the same.

Eventually, you stagger out into the living room, turning on a low light before sitting down on the couch, letting out a sigh as you wipe your eyes, deciding to wait until L got home before you tried to sleep again. That is if he got home.

After a mere few hours as you just silently sitting in the living room, periodically wiping your eyes or sniffing a little, you hear the door to your apartment finally click, followed by it slowly swinging open.

"(y/n)? What are you doing awake sweetheart?"

Your boyfriend asks once he closes the door, as you were the very first thing he noticed. After you slowly look over, he immediately sees your tear stained cheeks reflecting the moonlight, and your tired looking eyes. Not even a second later, he just drops his keys and rushes over, immediately taking you in his lanky but loving grasp.

"What's wrong darling?"

He gently asks, and you softly hug him back in response.

"I-I just had a really bad nightmare. That's all."

You say, and he backs only slightly away in response.

"Not another one..."

He whispers, and you nod in response.