Kittens // Random one shot

It was pouring in the city tonight. Absolute torrential rain. Of course, this was the night you and L decided to go out for dinner since it was clear before you went, and you didn't have a way home other than walking.

L didnt care one bit, because he actually liked being out in the rain, but you were not in the mood to get soaked and freezing cold to end your nice night together.

"Are you ready to go (y/n)?"

He asks, snapping you from thought as he puts your jacket over your shoulders, and takes your hand.

"Yea. I guess...I cant say I'm looking forward to walking in that downpour though..."

You grumble, and L laughs very lightly before you walk to the door.

"Think of it this way - it will be really nice when we get home and dry off."

He says, and you sigh, knowing you didnt have much of a choice other than to essentially swim home.

"Yea..Let's just go then.."

You sigh, and you both walk out as the rain hits you like a waterfall. Pressing on, you feel your hair beginning to get wet while you begin to walk. Only 15 minuets, and you would be home.

"I can feel it getting into my jacket..."

You groan, only about two minuets into your walk while the rain continues to relentlessly pour.

"And my shoes.."

You say, knowing there was no use to try and protect yourself from the downpour. While you kept moving along just wishing you were back inside, you pass an alleyway right as you hear soft mewing among the thundering raindrops, like a small animal was there.

"Do you hear that?"

You ask, and L stops.

"Hear what?"

He questions, and you slip your hand from his while you walk into the alleyway.

"(y/n), where are you going?"

He asks, and you dont answer immediately. Rather, you slowly approach a box in the alley, hearing weak noises coming from within. Opening it, you gasp as you see two small kittens, wet and freezing cold.

"L, there are two kittens here."

You say, covering your mouth as you feel like you were going to cry.

"What?"

He asks, coming over to look.

"C-Can we take them? They'll die out here if they stay. Look at them, they're soaked..."

You ask, reaching into the box and pulling the two small creatures to your chest. L wasnt one to ever want pets, especially not two, and he shifts a little while he looks at the kittens.

"We can definetly get them out of the cold and take them in for now... but (y/n), I dont know if we should keep them."

He mumbles, and you get a little sad while you put the two into your jacket, at least getting them out of the rain.

"Well.. for now let's try and get a bit of cat food and get them home with us so they can dry off."

You say, and both walk out of the alley as you try and keep as much rain as you could out of your jacket. On the way home, you stop at a small convenience store, buying a few cans of cat food before trying to head home a bit faster than you normally would, feeling the small cats moving slightly against your chest. You just had to hope they were going to be okay.