long Distance // Mature

L had been away for almost 10 weeks now. He was stationed in a foreign country in Europe while he was working on solving a case that had taken way too long, and it required him to be there in person. You missed each other intensely as the time away grew, and kept up your contact by phone and video calls, but you'd be lying if it didnt put a strain on your relationship. It was rare that you got an opportunity to chat, and even when you did, it didnt last overly long due to L's tight schedule with no down time.

But tonight, he had the entire evening off, which was an extremely rare occurance, and the icing on the cake was that it was valentines day.

After organizing the call together and waiting all day, you finally see it connecting as you smooth your hair out, unable to wait. After a second of buffering, a calligraphy L pops up on the screen, making you frown.

"Hello darling."

You hear, noticing he had the voice filter applied as well. You then look to the corner of the screen, seeing that you were visible to him.

"That's no fair. I can't see you but you can see me? And you have the voice filter?"

You pout, and he pauses.

"I know....It's for safety measures. You know that."

He mumbles, and you look away as you sink into the pillow, quite disappointed.

"I was just really excited to see you.."

You softly say as you draw small circles on the sheets with your fingertip.

"Awe, (y/n)...please don't be sad..."

He says, and you pout even more.

"(y/n)...."

He whines, and you don't budge. He then sighs, and you hear a click.

"Is that better?"

He asks, the voice filter now turned off, but he was still behind the calligraphy L.

"That's still not fair!"

"I dont have a camera on this laptop!"

"That is a goddanm lie and you know it!"

You retort, but cant help but laugh.

"I'm sorry (y/n). But no camera on my end, okay? We'll be able to see each other in person very soon, you just have to be patient for 2 and a half weeks."

He says, and you finally sigh and give in. He was stubborn as it was, and there was no use wasting time you could spend catching up.

"Fine... you win. Anyway, besides the workload, hows Europe been? Is it pretty there?"

You ask, settling into a comfy spot on your bed as you look into the small dot that was the camera on your laptop.

"Yes, it is. They have me constantly moving locations to have extra security and avoid being tracked, so I've done a fair bit of traveling. I'm currently in Paris, and it's quite beautiful here and I've especially enjoyed all the bakeries. My French is pretty rusty though, so talking to detectives and working on the case has been a bit of a challenge in that aspect."

He says, and you smile.

"I'll send a few photos when I get the chance. But I wish you were here with me, sweetheart. It would be quite the valentines day if we were both in France together."

He continues, and you picture how romantic that would be while you feel your heart flutter a little.

"Yea. That would be lovely...very romantic to spend valentines in the city of love."