Runaways // part 1

//teenage AU

~♡~Eight years ago~♡~

The same monotonous pealing of distant church bells awoke you, as they did every day. The sun in your window shone in with a pale gold hue, cutting through the cool air of the morning and illuminating the dust particles that floated lazily around your room. It was late August, and you could hear the sounds of the birds chirping with the bell droning on in the background while you stretched and sat up.

By normal standards, it was absolutely beautiful out today. The sun was shining down through great puffed up clouds, and you take a deep inhale through your nose before tossing your cover aside and sitting up from bed, stretching once more befoee stepping over to your wardrobe and slipping on your favorite sweater, followed by the somewhat loose leather bomber jacket you always wore.

Once dressed, you glance in the mirror and run your hands through your hair a few times, before you shrug and figure it looked fine. Heading downstairs, you quickly take notice that nobody was home - but don't pay any mind to it as you grab your backpack and leather boots, tying the worn laces.

Patting your pocket to make sure you had your house key, you nonchalantly walk down the road as you appreciate the morning. Hearing seagulls in the distance mixed with the wind chimes on the houses that lined the street, you cut through a field dotted with flowers and tall grass - ignoring the sign that explicitly said please do not walk on the grass.

Stepping through a broken slat in the gate on the other side of the field, you walk into town before taking notice of stalls getting put up, and you perk up when you notice that the annual farmers market was on. Hopefully, an event like today would be a good enough excuse to get L out, as his caretakers were strict about him "focusing on his career"...Or something like that.

Either way, it didn't matter. You've snuck him out before, and today you could bribe him to come with you with the promise of buying him some good candy that gets sold at the market.

After a slightly expedited walk, you finally arrive at the long cobblestone driveway to the large grey manor that L lived.

Stepping around the property, you keep an eye out for anyone around before swiftly tossing your bag over the fence that separated you from the grounds of Wammy's House, before sliding yourself in between a slightly wider opening along the ornate iron barred fencing. You could have asked to come in from the front gate, but you've done that before and were turned away. Can't be a distraction to their young protégé they were grooming to become the world's greatest detective, can you?

...Bullshit.

You think, finally approaching the left side of the house, climbing up a lattice fence that led up to L's window. You were quick and practiced - as it certainly wasn't the first time you had to do it.

Making sure you couldn't easily be seen, you peek in from the side to make sure he was alone, seeing his hunched over form and black spiky hair from behind the office chair he was sitting in.

As usual, he was at his desk and completely absorbed in his laptop, typing away at a word document while he occasionally reaches into a bag of gummy bears. Noticing that the window was unlatched, and the door to his room was closed, you open it quickly before speaking.

"You going to save any for me?!"

You yell out in an attempt to surprise him, to which he has little response.

"Hello (y/n)."

He responds coolly, and you could hear the smirk in his tone.

"And no. Conspiracy to scare me is a punishable offense. I officially sentence you to life with no candy."