soulmate AU

Au where the world is grey until you touch your soulmate for the first time

~♡~

It was a relatively cold and rainy day, and you look to the grey skies and city out your window, absently stirring a cup of coffee while the clock in your apartment ticked monotounously. You were particularly bored today, and it didn't help at all that it was another month gone by without meeting who you were supposedly meant to be with.

The world was grey to you. At least, you thought it was grey, because you had never known otherwise. And when you met who you were star crossed to be with, your world would fill with colour. You knew people who had found theirs, and they described colour as the most beautiful thing in the world, especially when it was paired with falling in love.

But you...Well, you were twenty two now, and still hadn't seen a glimmer of colour to grace your world despite you searching. It made you question sometimes if you would ever meet your soulmate, but it also sparked a slightly darker and scarier thought that you didn't have one, or that they were gone before you met them.

That's something else that people say happened. If your soulmate dies, especially if it's suddenly, the colour goes completely away. It's a thought that terrified you.

But today, you were going to push that thought out of your mind, and continue with your routine for the early morning before work. If it was fate to meet whoever your soulmate was, it would eventually happen. Maybe today, maybe in ten years, but you couldn't speed that process of fate up.

Absently thinking of this, you throw on your work clothes and not long after leave your apartment, making your way to the station that took you to your small office job across the city.

Once there, you do work as you always did, and glance outside to see that it was raining, and the weather looked especially dreary.

And of course, it was the day where you didnt bring an umbrella, and you had to walk to the station.

Once the work day had finally ended, you ran through the city as the rain poured down, holding a folder from the office over your head as you ran. Eventually, you figure you have a little time before your train arrived, so you find refuge at a small coffee shop rather than waiting in the cold and wet station. Sighing while you walk in, you part your wet hair from your face. It wasnt busy in here, thank God, and only a few people dotted the small shop while you take your coat off. At least you could wait the rain out a little in here.

Hanging your wet coat up on the small rack the coffee shop provided, you walk to the counter and order a tea and a muffin to snack on while you contemplated either trying to keep going through the rain on foot or admitting defeat and calling a cab company. Not paying attention as you look out the grey window, your look over to see your order sitting on the counter ready for you. Absentmindedly walking over, you reach out before briefly bumping hands with someone, and look up to see an individual with dark hair and plain clothes looking back to you with two tired looking eyes.

"S-sorry, is that yours?"

You ask, and he looks down before he nods.

"Yes, I think so. Did you order black coffee as well?"

He asks, and you shake your head.