L x Reader ((random one shot))

It was a cold and rainy day, and you stare out the kitchen window as you look at the dreary raindrops sliding down the glass. It had been a full week and a half since L had been home. You think of this as you sigh, and you rub your temples as you look to the living room.

"Mummy?"

You hear, pulling you from thought.

"Yes sweetheart?"

You answer as you turn in your chair, looking toward your three year old daughter standing before you.

"When will daddy be back home?"

She asks innocently, making you almost lose your composure.

"I'm not sure sweetheart. Hopefully...in the next few days."

You say, getting out of your seat to lower down to her eye level.

"That's what you said a few days ago."

She says back, making you sigh as you look down. She was awfully advanced for her age, and could understand much more than any regular toddler could. It was probably a trait she adopted from her father. 

"I know honey...and I'm sorry. It's just...daddy has a lot of important work to do. He protects us and the entire world, and wants nothing more than for you to be safe. Sometimes...he's just too busy to come home. Do you understand sweetheart?"

You ask, and she nods silently as she squeezes in a little beat up stuffed cat her father had given her awhile back.

"But...I miss him."

She mumbles, and you brush her soft bangs to the side as you sigh.

"I do too honey bunches."

You say as you gently pick her up, commenting lightly how big she was getting before you hold her to your chest.

"Just remember he loves you no matter what."

You whisper as you kiss her soft cheek, making her smile only slightly, but you felt tears jumping to your eyes. She had her fathers smile.

"Now, you must be getting hungry around now. What would you like for lunch sweetheart?"

"Ice cream."

She answers in her tiny voice, making you giggle as you sit her down on the counter.

"Ice cream it is then."

You answer, trying to cheer her up at least a little.

"Really?"

She asks as she looks up with her two beautiful eyes, which were each a different colour. One was a cool greyish blue like L's, and one the same colour as yours. You nod as you gently smile, and you turn to get the frozen confection from the freezer while at the same time grabbing a spoon. After you had gotten a nice amount into a small hello kitty bowl, you lift your little one off the counter and tell her to choose any movie she wanted. She knew how to set it up, so you leave her to it before you sit back at the kitchen table, sighing softly as you see your daughter move to the couch while the Disney castle shows on the tv screen. You then stay still as you look out to the rainfall, hearing the start for the movie Tangled playing softly in the background.